Sign in to follow this  
helium

new lp cutter setup questions

I just recieved my new lp cutter. I have the stand assembled and cutter mounted, just have a few questions.

1 does the roller with the keepers (round metal discs) go in the rear adjustable holes of the stand or the front fixed holes of the stand?

2 do the rubber o-rings go on the outsides of the keepers and are they used to hold the keepers against the roll of material?

3 I will be using a laptop that does not have a serial connection,would I eliminate a lot of problems by purchasing a usb to serial adapter? (I want to get this setup the best way the first time)

4 if I use the usb to serial adapter, will I need to install the usb drivers on the cd, or can I just follow the instructions for serial connection that says no drivers need to be installed?

I know these may be really basic questions, but I never used anything like this before and I'm not completely computer literate, so I have a steep learning curve ahead of me.

1. It doesn't matter which roller the media guide are on, in fact you can always choose not to use them at all.

2. You assumption about the o-rings are correct. Just be prepared to replace them at some point (I got my LP in Nov and had to replace the rings in May).

3. I would try the USB connection first. No sense you run out and spend money on a keyspan if you don't need it. Just make sure that you get a direct connection from the laptop to the cutter (and not going thru any type of USB hub).

4. I don't know this answer, since my LP works perfectly with the USB. It took me several installations of the drivers and the latest updates from the Sign Blazer Forum, but any issues that I ran into were user-error.

They are not basic questions ... I asked them myself. Just be patient with the process and it will all come together.

Good luck!  :)