cherrybomb

SignCut Quiting on importing files and refusing to cut! (Mac)

I'm running

Mac G4

OS X 10.9

Illustrator 11

USB conection

I've down loaded SignCut software (suit OS X 10.9) as I didn't know which files to open on the CD supplied with my PCut.

I did register my Bundle # tho.

Downloaded the drivers.

But SignCut refuses to Cut anything.

I did try test mode once and the Cutter responded For a moment.. But only the one time.

I cant export from Illi, Only open via SignCut. But regardless SignCut either wont show the art work or Quits on opening any Illi File!

I also noticed that with the download, I got a CS2 Plug in.. Would this work for Illustrator 11? I cant find any earlier plug ins on SignCuts site.

Dan

Are the Illy files vectorized before you send them to SignCut? Have you tried .eps format as well? Click on the Cutter button, and what do you have listed for Device?

Check your cutter settings in signcut, if those aren't right it won't respond. You didn't mention which pcut you have, I assume the 24".  For mine the signcut settings are: manufacturer-Creation, cutter-Pcut CTN630E, device- /dev/cu.usbserial-0000201A, baud-9600

I doubt the cs2 plug in will work for Illy 11, which is probably why the export/import function isn't working. Don't see any reason the ai.11 files couldn't be opened directly in SC though.  If it will help I can send you a Illy CS3 file I've cut before so you can try opening that in SC, at least then you could isolate whether it's a problem in signcut or Illy 11.

There's a slim chance it could be some issue with running a g4 on osx 10.9 with Illy 11... to my knowledge any of the os updates beyond 10.4 were optimized for the newer intel macs, but if your system is stable without signcut in the picture it's probably not the issue.

OK, looked in the SC cut settings and the Baud rate wasn't set.

So with the pen adaptor fitted I can draw out the entire image from the default screen seen on the SignCuts display screen "SignCut-X2"

But thats it!

I cant seem to import AI or EPS files from illi with out sc quiting.

I can import two ai files but they refuse to cut/draw? 

Another ai file only draws part way then the plotter stops?.. this file tho is two colours, but started to draw the second colour before stopping.

And while I was trialling these files, the cutter seemed to freeze at times before cut/drawing?... most times when the cut head is placed from the far left side of the plotter. forcing me to turn off the machine and restart.

Plotter is the 24" ctn630

so its a start. ;D

Vince_d Ive send you a PM of my email addy, feel free to send me any file that I may try thanks.

Dan

Well, if you can draw out the entire signcut default screen you're making progress...at least now you know SC and the pcut are communicating properly.  If the plotter shut down while the cut head was on the far left there's also the chance that the cut head bumped the red button...you may try centering the paper a bit more and resetting the origin on the pcut.  doublecheck your tile and roll size settings in signcut as well to make sure they match the paper or vinyl you are using. You might also try creating a new ai document (not too big, maybe 2" x 7", in default rgb mode) Type in one word in a simple font. outline it (shift+apple+O on mac), and drag to scale it so that it fills the document. make sure it has fill only, and no stroke.  save it as both an ai file and an eps file, and try opening both in signcut.  take the cutter offline, and use the arrow buttons to move the cutter head to the far right hand side, and hit the button between the arrows to set the origin. put the cutter back in online mode and try to cut the file. The purpose of this is to feed it something that should only have a limited amount of travel on the head...If it completes the drawing you're probably having some roll/tile size/origin issues, if it stops again most likely there's something fishy going on with your Illi files

I created two new files as said and still it quits.

Tried other saved illi files also with nothing but quiting or missing sections from image?

(Bar one drawing I had saved. which drew-out, with out a hitch)

Moving and resetting the cut head helped.

One file I tried to draw tho, from my illi archives started to draw, only for the plotter to stop and seem to restart itself.. looking at the LCD screen when this happened it read PCUT* with a row of numbers below it and counting down at great speed.. then the usual online message.

Hmm. Is your g4 a laptop or tower?  If it's a laptop make sure you're using the usb port closest to the power plug. That "pcut" followed by the sequence of numbers on the lcd is the plotters "startup" screen...if you get that in the middle of a cut it's like the pcut has actually restarted itself or been powered off and back on. I'll email you a Illy cs3 file to try....

Its a G4 tower sawtooth, If I recall correctly?

I have the USB connected strait from the main (2 rear) usb outlet ports.

RE: sending C3 file,

Thanks mate..

Shouldn't matter with a tower, but try using cutting from both usb ports just to rule out some sort of usb glitch.  Emailed you a couple files to try, let me know if you have any luck with those...

Were getting some where now...

From the Files you sent, Only the EPS files would open and cut.. Both with no effort or troubles!

The AI files sent failed to open.. SC didnt quit tho.

Instead I got a message from SC saying that PDF files needed to be saved in AI or EPS?

Tried again with a simple text for the plotter in illi (saving in EPS) and with no luck, Still SC would quit and shut down. Hmmm!!

Odd indeed. Certainly seems to be an issue with the files, though I'm a bit stumped as to what the root of the problem is. I'm curious if an install of CS3 and signcut's Illi cs3 plug-in would solve your issues...don't suppose you have access to a copy you could try?

I agree, and have suspected it.

I could down load the CS3 plug-in. I'm more inclined to think at this point, my copy of illi is the culprit.

I thought I was buying a second hand version at the time only to find out it was a copy of the creative suite.

Its served me well and taught me a great deal........ Up until NOW! (if it is the problem?)

I'm downloading inkscape to try.

An older version of CorelDraw is also an idea for the near future...... Maybe sooner then later? lol

Dan

latest update.. And my brain is starting to hurt lol.

I reread your post Vince, And "Created" an outline of my text in illi... Now it'll draw/cut in either eps or ai no problem at all.... thank god for that! lol

I tried this with a simple drawing of boxes and stars, and got a heap of random lines (cut lines) over parts or towards the border of the image that is to be drawn or cut?

So far this is only in drawn shapes such as boxes, stars, circles etc?

Any ideas?

I'll do a search tonight, I think I recall this happening to some one els?.... Just gota find it.

Thanks for your help Vince_d  :)

Good to hear you're working it out.  Creating the outline converts text from being a "type-able font" to a shape object, with an editable "path" around it's perimeter.  This path is what the plotter actually reads to make it's cut, and is what you want to play close attention to in your files. if you use the white arrow tool in illustrator to select a shape object illi will highlight the path with a colored line. You shouldn't need to "create outlines" for squares, circles and other drawn shapes, as they are already "shape objects".  What you do want to do with these is make sure that you have it set to fill, but with no stroke. (this is done at the bottom of the toolbar, where there is a square "fill" icon that overlaps a box shaped "stoke" icon...click on the stroke icon, and then click just below on the small option box with the red "none" strike through to apply it to the stroke). Technically you can also set it to stroke, but not fill, but that opens up another can of worms, and another set of options you have to pay attention to. 

Having a shape that has both fill and stoke applied sends multiple paths to the cutter, one for the edge of the fill, and another for the stroke around the shape, leaving you with multiple cuts around the borders of your object.  not sure why you'd be getting stray cuts into the center of your shapes unless you have some stray paths in there you're not seeing, or perhaps you filled the object with a gradient, which if outlined would create a series of paths running through the object that outline each "band" or tone of the gradient. use the white arrow tool to drag around and highlight the entire object...if you have stray paths this will select and highlight them so they are visible, then you can figure out why you have them and how to get rid of them.

Good file prep & clean vectorizing is key, the plotter can only cut as good as what you feed it. 

Creating the outline converts text from being a "type-able font" to a shape object, with an editable "path" around it's perimeter.  This path is what the plotter actually reads to make it's cut, and is what you want to play close attention to in your files.

When its written out like that, It all makes a great deal more sense. I originally thought it was just a matter of Type text and cut. But I see now the error of my ways.

As for the stray lines!.. Thats all eliminated. It seems SC is pretty sensitive to information input. After following your instructions, I'm now flying free (look mum, No hands hehe).

Rex your a freekin legend, thanks for all your help mate.  :thumbsup:

Hears a little 2min design I did for my fianc

Nice one mate, looks like it's all coming together quite nicely. You're right, SC is very sensitive to it's input, it's gonna spit out exactly what you put in. Glad my explanations made sense, Illustrator is a tough one to put into words..ha.  A couple more things you'll want to play with in Illustrator that will be relevant to setting up your files for vinyl cuts can be found in the "objects" menu...the "expand/expand appearance" commands, and "path-->outline stroke & offset path" commands.  Another set of very useful tools are found in the pathfinder pallete (window-->pathfinder). This contains several command buttons for manipulating paths and shape objects. I use the "merge" and "minus back" commands found there religiously.  "merge" will allow you to combine 2 or more overlapping objects into 1 object, eliminating the paths that split them into multiple pieces..(for instance the split between where your stars and script overlap in the pic above...if you were to cut that in vinyl, and planned to keep the center and not the outline, you'd want all the fill for your stars and script to be one big piece, rather than split where they intersect. certain fonts that "run" together between letters, like scripts, should also be merged so you don't get little splits between each letter.).  The "minus back" command comes in handy for removing or "knocking out" one object from another...like the Toyo tires file I sent you, where the font was "removed" from the angled rectangular box.    Look them up in Illi's Help files for more detailed info, it explains the usage of these commands pretty well. Should you run into any snags feel free to drop me a line, happy to help. 

coming on like a storm ;)

Yep, I had those resting in my pallet wells. Been awhile since I've used them tho(rusty).

But It was coming back to me.

Even did a little trial drawing this morning to show. Just a little playing around. Its in the show your work section.

Again Thanks for your support mate.

A true asset to the forum.  :thumbsup:

Dan