Never forget the power of bartering.

This is a good way of clinching a deal when you suspect you are going to lose it.

Usually when a person says" I have to talk to my partner, wife, employees, gardener, dog," you can conclude you have pretty much lost the job and they are going to shop you.

Now staying on the ball you will find out what line this person is in by their sign order.

If they are starting to walk, change their mind by offering to trade.

Remember, you have nothing. Save this business by offering a trade.

I have traded for a nice western hat, a years worth of haircuts, paint job for my car, tires and several lunches.

This is just a few things that pop into my mind. Usually I come out way ahead, made a friend and a lifelong customer.

Sometimes, when I think I can get away with it, I quote a price and the customer snaps at it I would unethically add on something extra.

I got about four delicious chicken dumpling dinners before the customer caught on that he was a idiot for giving them to me.

He turned out to be a good repeat business customer and I always had him bring us some dinners when he came to pick up his signs which I paid for. Oh the sign business used to be so rewarding and evil. ;D

Good advice! I upholstered the sofa in my lawyer's waiting room to pay for my first divorce!

I have a customer now wanting some signs who has a wig/hairpiece shop..hmmmm....

Never forget the power of bartering.

That is how I get my yard cut every year. I despise cuttin grass, but a friend of mine cuts yards on the side. Been tradin red lights and sirens for about three years now, and havent had to even touch a freakin lawn mower or weed-eater.

We trade out printing for the local Papa Murphys and get all our take and bake pizza's free...

Also we trade out halibut fishing trips with a guide we do work for...

Did trade out work for our vehicle mechanic...

and the list goes on and on. 

I guess I always took this for granted, you brought up a very good point Chops.

Hey, it works. I saved many a job that way. I figure it this way, your fixing to lose the job anyway, but this gives the customer not to be out any pocket money and usually they are proud of their products or services and snap at the chance.

I have traded for so many things in the past.

Just do a quick mental calculation making sure you come out ahead. ;D

Hey chops I like this idea.....does anyone know the corporate number for Budwiser  :) I gotta see if they need any signs  ;D

I try to barter if all else fails, or if I know my client is hurting for cash or something. My significant other gets upset when I do stuff like that. I tell him it's just my way of earning brownie points to be redeemed at some future point in time. I can honestly tell you that he was so surprised when I told my friends and family and almost every single one of them offered to help in some way - and they weren't token offers. I asked him who volunteered from his friends and family. He only got one offer from a cousin ... then when we called him to let him know the move date - he didn't bother returning our calls or showing on move day. rotfl2.gif

I might not always work for money, but I do feel well rewarded for I'm able to do for others, even if it means spending my last penny on someone else.

I did partial (some cash, some product) barter for a website. End result was that he thought I'd be willing to take my entire payment in car care products. He wigged out at the bill and told me that some of other distributors (of the same product) managed to get their (e-commerce) websites up and running for under $100. I told him to find out who did that for them, because I have LOT of clients that would love to tap into that resource, and proceeded to ask why he didn't get them to do his site as well. He shut upI took whatever money he was willing to write the check for, then cut ties. I got a tiny fraction of the time and skill I put into the website.

I need to find a Chiropractor who needs some signs...and a physical therapist...a heart doctor, neurologist, and also a chocolate candy store.

Hey chops I like this idea.....does anyone know the corporate number for Budwiser  :D I gotta see if they need any signs  :)

In days gone by, I have traded with bars + money to quench my thirst while I was painting on the job. (burp) :)

In the 15-18th centuries,many people could not read. Many men (and aven a few women) made a nice living going from town to town painting (or repainting) Tavern Signs.They were often paid in food,drink,and lodgings. They didn't get paid with the DRINK until AFTER the sign was finished.

....They didn't get paid with the DRINK until AFTER the sign was finished.

Who knows, maybe the sign turned out even better with a little creative juice going down the throat while on the job! Hahahaha. And if that didn't work, then liquor up the owner, they'll think it looks better when they're drunk! laugh2.gif

One thing to keep in mind that bartering is still income and needs to be reported as such both for the IRS and for sales taxes.  A lot of people don't because they actually did not exchange money, but you never know, most business will try to write a barter deal off as an expense and if they get audited, the next stop the auditor may make is with you.  Just a thought.

Yah if I were the Inn Keep i'd check the sign BEFORE I started drinking with them.  But, if they did a good job, they'd probably end up getting more liquor than was promised if they did drink with me ;)

I think you'll need to add a dentist to your list BannerJohn.  That choclate shop bartering might do your teeth in :thumbsup:

How many times has that happened to you Haumana?  You need help moving or cutting down a tree and everybodies "busy" or has an appointment with their proctoligist?  But when they want a free sticker.........aren't they right there waiting  :thumbsup:

I've happily started along with this project just to make stuff for myself and friends.  If I can barter my way into some free supplies or just enough $ to buy more vinyl, i'm a happy camper right there.  You guys can have the rest of the paying customers ;)