Sorry if this is a repeat, I couldnt find any existing threads.

I just got my LP 24 and got it set up.  I cant wait to get rolling, and so as I was loading a roll of vinyl, I felt what felt like an electric shock going through the stand bag bars...

Got my voltmeter, and sure enough, each of the screws holding the cutter to the stand are from 2-14VAC!  2, I dont mind, but you can feel 14 pretty good.

Should I be worried about this, or just replace the screws with nylon?

Thanks,

LJ

BTW, Great forum, and so far I am pleased with everything!

Since death is permanent... I would unplug it immediately and get in touch with Ken

Eh, Ive been shocked by much more than 110V...

Besides, I just cut my first decal, no way am I turning this thing off now!

:thumbsup:

what's death compared to cutting anyway? 2thumbup.gif

justkidding.gif

Sorry if this is a repeat, I couldnt find any existing threads.

I just got my LP 24 and got it set up.  I cant wait to get rolling, and so as I was loading a roll of vinyl, I felt what felt like an electric shock going through the stand bag bars...

Got my voltmeter, and sure enough, each of the screws holding the cutter to the stand are from 2-14VAC!  2, I dont mind, but you can feel 14 pretty good.

Should I be worried about this, or just replace the screws with nylon?

Thanks,

LJ

BTW, Great forum, and so far I am pleased with everything!

I would assume it is a power supply issue, so if you feel comfortable replacing the part, or opening the unit to make sure none of the wires are loose (unplug it first), those would be your options. The worst case scenario would be sending the entire unit back.

I assume the power supply is inside the left cover where the cord plugs in?  If so, Ill pull the cover off and look for loose wires. 

It appears to be an intermittent problem, and hasnt shocked me again yet.

what's death compared to cutting anyway? 2thumbup.gif

justkidding.gif

That's right, how do you think they make snow flakes  :thumbsup:

I assume the power supply is inside the left cover where the cord plugs in?  If so, Ill pull the cover off and look for loose wires. 

It appears to be an intermittent problem, and hasnt shocked me again yet.

Sorry, the power supply is actually underneath the cutter connected to the bottom panel on the left hadn side of the panel, so to get to it you would need to tip the cutter on it;s side, then loosen the screws to the bottom panel to remove.

Just a quick update, I have been cutting with this thing nonstop since my first post and havent felt any voltage.

Not going to tear it apart unless I feel anything again..

Just a quick update, I have been cutting with this thing nonstop since my first post and havent felt any voltage.

I don't know about the volt meter thing,but the shock you decribed sounds exactly like a static shock that I get sometimes after handling vinyl and touching metal parts of the machine.

Respectfully,

A static shock is usually high voltage that discharges in a few milli seconds.. If he can read it with a meter and it's AC then it's voltage bleeding out via a short to ground.

Respectfully,

A static shock is usually high voltage that discharges in a few milli seconds.. If he can read it with a meter and it's AC then it's voltage bleeding out via a short to ground.

I had the same problem with a power saw once. Solution,according to the electrician,was that the plug (in fact the entire shop wiring) was not properly grounded. He reversed 2 wires,and all was well.

:thumbsup:

I agree with John, you might want to check the power outlet its plugged into for reversed neutral and ground wires (a simple plug tester is under $10 at hardware stores).

Static might be the culprit. I don't miss the static sting from the dryer belt when I was in the shirt bidness. Never when ya expected it. I would imagine that vinyl could conduct static, and if you are on carpet or some other floor surface that would cause static to build. Just a shot in the dark ... ?