BruceW

MH871 Can't change speed

Since I got it - used - my MH871 has come up with 24 i/s and 100g.  This has proven appropriate for everything I do.  Suddenly, those settings changed on startup.  I was able to change the force, but speed is stuck at 1 i/s and the buttons won't change it.  I purchased a replacement board and installed it - no change.  The cutter still works fine, but is obviously REAL SLOW.  Thoughts? 

" a replacement board " -- which board?  The actual keypad itself? The motherboard?

Circuitry on the MH is prone to static zapping through the chassis and more often than not, it's the Z-chip (blade up and down) which gets fried. I haven't heard of what you're describing, but it's likely a failure of some other component on the controller board (i.e. - MB)

How much $$ are you into this thing? A used MH isn't worth very much, and if you can't live with the snail-pace of cutting, just consider popping for a SC or LP3 model and get on with your 800-speed (top speed) life.

Since the control switches weren't working, I replaced the switch sub board.  You're probably right - the next replacement would be the motherboard...although my machine has always had a separate ground to prevent static discharge.

Sorry to hear that your cutter is not 100% up to speed.

Keep in mind there were several versions of the MH motherboard produced, make sure you get the correct one.
( US Cutter doesn't stock all of them, just the one marked 2011C )  and it's $100 including shipping.

And at $100, I'd look at a new/new to you cutter. You can find some pretty good used cutters pretty cheap. I'd read on here for years people talking about how much better higher end cutters are and I always thought how much of a difference could there really be. I'm here to say, there is a huge difference. I went to a graphtec I found used and it was night and day difference. Detail designs were no longer a fight to weed. Thicker stuff like glitter cut amazingly well. I did a design on the MH and weeding took me over an hour because of the glitter vinyl I hated working with glitter vinyl. Same design with the graphtec and I was done in like 5 min. I couldn't believe it.

Don't be afraid to walk away from the MH and get something better. From what I've heard, even the SC is a big step up from the MH.

The MH does everything I want it to do if I'm scrupulous about the adjustments.  I've now found another MH locally for the price of a new motherboard.  If I can find the room, the old one will get its own laptop and be used when 1 inch/sec is appropriate.  The engineer in me still wants to replace that motherboard... 

The MH does everything I want it to do if I'm scrupulous about the adjustments.

That was my thinking as well.  But the whole process is so much faster and easier with a higher end cutter. I was like you, and completely understand your stance. Until you experience a good cutter it's hard to comprehend how much better they can be.

Engineer here as well, and I too hate throwing stuff out that I know should be a simple fix. Best of luck, just don't throw too much money at it.