Sign in to follow this  
Guest Heather

Not Closing Text or Designs

Guest Heather

Hello, 

I'm having an issue with my US Cutter MH 871-MK2.  It doesn't stop a cut where it starts, not closing cut.  It always a small section not cut which makes weeding very difficult.  It leaves tips on my text or image.  I have changed the blade and adjusted it to its proper position.  It cuts the correct depth.

The font I am using is from the vinyl master program.  I have not downloaded any other fonts.  I have zoomed in to look at the font, put it in wire form, and everything is smooth.  I have also tried multiple fonts thinking it might be that.  Every font has done this.  

The star shape is from the test button on my cutter.  I typed out the text from the font selections on the vinyl master progarm.  

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?  I would greatly appreciate any help.  Thank you.

20240217_142559.thumb.jpg.2bde74b75cebc7aae7b74fb9e110b106.jpg

Heather, welcome aboard.

You're experiencing an anomaly called a "hangnail" and it's been covered in these Forums numerous times.

Register here, do a search, and look at other threads with the solution.

We do not know what you are calling "proper" position for blade depth. But do not use a credit card or post it notes to set blade depth. That is too much blade exposed out of the blade holder.( Too many incorrect instructions out there).  If you are seeing the blade tip out of the blade holder, then you have too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. Your cuts look like that is what is going on. Too much blade exposed out of the blade holder. 

Try this.  It works for correct blade depth. Posted hundreds of times on this forum. Make sure no vinyl is stuck in blade holder, blade spins freely and you can add a drop or 2 of light oil in the blade holder. 3-1 oil, sewing machine oil. etc.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing. You should barely see and feel the blade tip out of the blade holder. Regular sign vinyl is only 2-3 mil thick. You only cut with the very tip of the blade. When you think the blade is so far in the blade holder, that you think it would not even cut, that is probably correct. The correct combo is less blade more force.

• Like 1

I did the minimal research to locate a diagram that describes this 'hangnail' is caused by OFFSET value not being properly adjusted.

blade offset.jpg

You are experiencing the third anomaly. (too much offset value).

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this