termagator

Flexi 8.5 help needed

Is the serial cable you're using a 'null modem'?  Did your keyspan come with direction for a driver for the adapter?

If you think Flexi is wanting to use COM3, then you can try and go into your Device Manager and reassign the Keyspan to be designated at COM3.

You are not showing pictures of what the Flexi Production manager looks like. Show pictures of how you added your cutter to the set up in Flexi production manager,  Show those photos. Show photos, not videos.  Correct above about you must be using a null modem serial cable. Are you sure it is? 

How did you end up with a Keyspan? Is your computer without a DB9 legacy serial port?

Manually reassign the serial connection to COM4 and try that.

Is the serial cable you're using a 'null modem'?  Did your keyspan come with direction for a driver for the adapter?

If you think Flexi is wanting to use COM3, then you can try and go into your Device Manager and reassign the Keyspan to be designated at COM3.

I was kinda thinking that. Yesterday when I was trying the other non null modem serial cable, it was saying come 3 was available.  When I try to change the port to 3 I get this

20240211_161856.jpg

You are not showing pictures of what the Flexi Production manager looks like. Show pictures of how you added your cutter to the set up in Flexi production manager,  Show those photos. Show photos, not videos.  Correct above about you must be using a null modem serial cable. Are you sure it is? 

1st couple pics are outta sequence but you probably can figure it out

Here you go, I'll try to get photos in right sequence 

20240211_160732.jpg

20240211_160407.jpg

20240211_160756.jpg

20240211_161028.jpg

20240211_161037.jpg

20240211_161053.jpg

17076904872348356098060777294315.jpg

How did you end up with a Keyspan? Is your computer without a DB9 legacy serial port?

Here's the back of my pc, it's a all n one.

Here's my serial cable 

20240211_161459.jpg

20240211_163538.jpg

20240211_163527.jpg

Show the cable connection to your vinyl cutter.

You  showed your first picture as being installed  in device manager to Keyspan Adapter COM 4, So why isn't it on com 4 in your set up on Flexi?  They must match. No reason it should be on com 2.  You HAVE to use a null modem cable with a Tripplite Keyspan adapter. 

com 4.jpg

Okay, let's try to get a handle on this - 

If you're wanting to use the serial connection on your cutter, then you need a null modem cable, not a "non null modem".  Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-10-Feet-RS232-Serial-SCNM9FF/dp/B00006B8BJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3SXMKWWEG0E4X&keywords=null+modem+cable&qid=1707691977&sprefix=null+modem+cabl%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

That will tie into your keyspan, which you probably need to install the driver for, which you can find here:
https://tripplite.eaton.com/support/downloads?type=software&subtype=31

Once you have the driver installed, and the cutter connected to you computer, go to Device Manager and see which COMPort was assigned by Windows.  Make sure that you either reassign it, or that it's in the range between 1 and 4, no higher.

Once you've verified which COMPort Windows is using for your Serial USB, go to Flexi, and make sure that the software is using the same COM number that is listed in the Device Manager.  There should only be one.

Show the cable connection to your vinyl cutter.

You  showed your first picture as being installed  in device manager to Keyspan Adapter COM 4, So why isn't it on com 4 in your set up on Flexi?  They must match. No reason it should be on com 2.  You HAVE to use a null modem cable with a Tripplite Keyspan adapter. 

com 4.jpg

On my 1st attempt to cut with this cable,  the com port was set on com4 and I had com4 was the only set up in production manager.  Is this not a null modem serial cable?  I used the link from this thread to purchase it. Here's my cable going into the vinyl cutter. The pic showing the production manager is a screen shot from the earlier video. 

20240211_192747.jpg

Screenshot_20240211_193642_Samsung Internet.jpg

The Tripp lite adapter is NEVER plugged directly into your vinyl cutter.   I  wrote this in previous post, which is why you need a null modem serial cable, Between the vinyl cutter and the Tripplite Keyspan adapter. The null modem serial cable screws into the Tripplite Keyspan Adapter screw end., the other end of the null modem cable screws into the serial end of your vinyl cutter.   

haumana in her post above, is giving you step by step instructions. Follow therm. 

This null modem serial cable right here, is BETWEEN the Tripp lite Keyspan adapter AND your vinyl cutter. One end screws into your vinyl cutter, the other end screws into your Tripp lite Keyspan adapter. USB end into your computer.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-10-Feet-RS232-Serial-SCNM9FF/dp/B00006B8BJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3SXMKWWEG0E4X&keywords=null+modem+cable&qid=1707691977&sprefix=null+modem+cabl%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Here's the back of my pc, it's a all n one

20240211_161459.jpg

Ok MZ SKEETR,  your saying I should keep the Tripplite Keyspan  cable, and buy a null modem cable, that plugs into the male end of the Tripplite,  but then it will be OK to use a male to male null modem adapter  because cutter is female also?

Thanks for your patience.  

If you have the original serial cable that came with the cutter, when you bought it, it could very well be a null modem serial cable. 

Haumana, would this work also?, I could get it faster and wouldn't need an adapter 

Screenshot_20240211_230500_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Yes, that cable should do it.

Cutter > Null Modem Cable > Keyspan > USB Cable > Computer

Ok thanks null modem cable will be here tomorrow evening.  

Some one had asked what changes had happened prior to my computer not talking to the vinyl cutter.  

Here's what it did...did it again last night,  and again today.  Flexi comes up, but all internet browsing kinda slow

20240212_095921.jpg

Sorry to report,  null modem cable didn't work either.  Still production manager just goes to holding.

D.M is set on com 2

P.M. setup is com2

In D.M. when I go advance settings to change com port 1,2&4 are open sez 3 is in use. When I go to P.M. to make a setup,  it only gives me a com choice of 2 or 3, there is no longer a com 1 or 4.

I suspect I got some kind of computer problem.  It's been doing the blue screen recovery stuff a couple time today alone.

Thanks for all the help but I'm giving up on the com connection 20240213_195941.thumb.jpg.5ea93d3a58166a1559e56b49b04f7242.jpg

20240213_200856.jpg

Why do you have the SEND MODE in: HOLD IN LIST?  It is doing what you are telling it to. Holding in the Production Manager Que.   To Send to your vinyl cutter to CUT is SEND NOW.   If I put my Flexi software on HOLD IN LIST, that is exactly what it shows in my Production Manager Que . HOLDING  I do not take my SEND MODE  off of SEND NOW.  No reason to. 

sending mode.jpg

SEND NOW.jpg

HOLD IN LIST 1.jpg

If you're getting the blue screen repeatedly, then there is something fundamentally going wonky with the OS.  You might want to back up all your data, deactivate any software that can be, then reformat your machine.  Even if you can get your cutter connected, the blue screen will keep on happening unless the issue is resolved. 

If you have assigned COM 2 for your cutter, then you should be selecting COM 2 in Flexi, not USB 2.

It is right on your picture. In the middle, left side.  where it says Hold in List.  It should be Send now That is a drop down box.

send now1.jpg

This thread has started to go off the rails.

I understand your frustration, Skeeter.

Wanna see something hilarious? Here's my suggestion, before this guy gives up ---  install a Virtual COM port (VCP) for usb software connection. Yep, get back to USB cable, and put aside all those other connections.