Spam on Maui

Graphtec F-Mark 1 suckers: looking for the old style

Our Graphtec came with an F-Mark 1 which has been working very well for us. We ordered more suckers because one set finally wore out, but what we got is quite different than before! They're bright orange suckers with a bigger suction hole made from a stiffer material. Much wider.

We find that using these newer sucker feet is great on synthetic papers and such. However, they're really not good for regular paper stocks as they pull too many sheets at once. That's even after I've adjusted suction as low as I can get it.

Where can I find the old suckers? Or the equivalent to them? We don't really know what they are or how to describe the specs to help our searches!

image003.jpg

I just did a google search for Graphtec F-Mark 1 suckers. First link takes me to a UK web page, https://graphtecgb.co.uk/product/graphtec-f-mark-vacuum-suction-cups/.

Seems the red/Orange ones you have are for the F-Mark 2. The F-Mark 1 has green suction cups now.

Looks like the big difference is the size of the hole. You might experiment with making the hold smaller on the orange cups you already have.

We were told that those aren't being carried anymore and the orange was the replacement for F-Mark 1 and 2 from here on out by Graphtec US.

Hrm. That is a bit frustrating. I wonder if they'll sell to the US or not? 

If that's the case I'd try changing the hole size. Some duct tape with a hole punched in it would probably do the trick. The hole might get larger over time but it'd be an easy fix. Or a small circular piece of polycarbonate (Lexan) with a hole drilled in it and then taped in place. You can get 1/16" thick sheets from amazon for about $7. Could probably even cut a circle out of a plastic party cup.

Another option, and it's bit more extreme, drill small holes in the suction cup part so that it doesn't make an air tight seal. If the suction is strong enough it should still pick up paper.

• Like 1

The boss had me contact the UK Graphtec and we've also emailed our distributor.

I'll keep your suggestions in mind if we can't get them or find alternatives. I've not prayed to Saint MacGyver, the great and holy Richard Dean Anderson in a while, so we'll try these leads first. 

This is one of those cases where working for a large company can be so frustrating. You can almost reach out and touch the part yet you can't get it purchased.

Can you convince your company to buy you a 3D printer? It's a simple design and would be easy to print. I bet with some of the flex able filaments it would work quite well.

Or just put some tape over the hole and make your own hole that is the same size as the original.

Well, we're a small company.

I wouldn't know what to do with a 3d printer, honestly. I'll try the tape at some point or see if I can make an insert somehow.

We might just try ordering straight from GraphtecUK. At worst I've got cousins there in Ol' Blighty.