Sign in to follow this  
kainth.c.s

Has anyone else faced similar problem

Hello everyone

Just curious to enquire has anyone else faced the problem of decals not sticking to a painted surface in extremely cold weather?

Mercury here in Australia is dropping down to 2 to 4 deg celcius and I have some complaints from some people that Mirror Gold and Mirror Silver decals are coming off with the tape.

I have used low to medium tack tape (Politape 130) and the back board was painted a couple of weeks ago before the decals were being stuck.

Also, the decals were applied dry.

I tried the same stuff on the painted wall (as it had similar texture) and didn't have problems while putting it on

I am attaching some pictures for you to have a look on to. Please be mindful it is not an acrylic backdrop and the other colours on the same board got stuck seamlessly.

Any input will be highly appreciated

1.jpg

2.jpg

Vinyl is temperature-sensitive, the manufacturer recommends handling/applying at above 10*C (50*F) -- also it might be worthwhile trying RapidTac2 product, which assists in adhesion at low temps.
There's a video of somebody placing a decal onto a truck when it's snowing out!

Beyond that, that wall doesn't seem very smooth, having a 'rippled' texture, and standard vinyl really does best with perfectly flat surfaces, unless it's specifically formulated for wall (uneven surface) application.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the suggestions

Slice & Dice! You're right, Mercury is theaccused

I posted the same query in some facebook groups as well. These are the responses I have got

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vinylcuttingforum/permalink/3461367504128165/?comment_id=3462051917393057&notif_id=1688156898613071&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

https://www.facebook.com/groups/327464755215909/posts/948663899762655/?comment_id=949064656389246&notif_id=1688146572524782&notif_t=group_comment