Sign in to follow this  
Guest TracMatt

Cutting problems

Guest TracMatt

When I cut either sign vinyl or heat press vinyl on the right side of all my designs I get a perforated cut instead of a clean cut.  Has anyone had this problem also?  If so what is wrong?  It is like it is vibrating too much when it cuts on that side of a design and it bounces up and down.

Thanks,

Tracee

Guest Terry

try adding more down force.

Guest TracMatt

Okay, but how much?  I had it on 110 and then I tried moving it 10 at a time down to 80 to see if it helped and it didn't.  Do you think I need to go above 110?

Tracee

Setting the blade depth is key, then a pressure setting of 120-150 should resolve the issue. Blade should barely stick out of the blade holder.

Guest TracMatt

Thanks Ken and Terry.  I have the blade barely out already I read that .pdf upon joining the forum.  I wasn't sure about the pressure and speed though.  I had it on 100 down force and 60 for speed.  Since I am new at this I have no idea where to put them.  It is really hard to weed vinyl that is perforated on one side let me tell you  :huh:.  And it doesn't look good with the rough edges also.  I have a big job today so I am going to try it at the higher pressure and see if that helps.  I have a new blade in already so it isn't that.  Also do you change the down force when you change to heat press vinyl or do you leave it the same?

Thanks again,

Tracee

There are a few customers that have their blade depth set just right, so they can cut self-adhesive vinyl at say 120, then just raise the pressure to 160 or so for the heat press transfer vinyl.

Guest TracMatt

I can't go above 90 or it cuts right through my backing and everything.  I have my blade just sticking out of the black cap.

Tracee

If it is cutting through the backing at 90, the blade is sticking out too far.

I have the same problem with my 48" Laserpoint. I noticed that the bladeholder assembly is somewhat loose ie. the holderset "piston" has too much space in the holder "cylinder". This causes shivering on the blade, which causes perforation. The cure may be a new holderset, if there is a sparepart available.

I just sent an email about this, so let

The blade is supposed to spin freely, so that when the direction of the carriage changes and/or the vinyl is being scrolled back and forth, the cutting surface is always facing the right direction. Have you checked to make sure that the blade and blade holder are clean? I had that "perforation" issue a while back too, it was being caused by a little adhesive near the opening of the blade holder - basically it wasn't allowing the blade holder to spin freely.

Another thing to try is you could always swap out the blade for another one (the cutter came with 3), or switch to a 60-degree blade, which some of the these forum members swear by.

Good luck!