haumana

Need some advice ... best way to do this?

So I'm actually faced with my very first request to do a multi-color decal. Any advice about it? Keep in mind that if it's really out of the realm of beginner, then I'd probably need to pass this on to one of you who would be willing to do this. How much should be charged for these? He wants the colors "as is" (within reason), but I would need to run out and buy that orange-ish color of Jeep, and I don't have any peach - and absolutely refuse to buy vinyl in that color for such a small quantity.

chili pepper (1) decal about 4" tall

Jeep (2) decals about 4"-5" tall.

I'm going to ask the client for a better image, but I think this might be the best he has. I've done several decals for him already, and he's really great to work with. I just have never done more than one color before ... no one has ever asked, and I've been meaning to try to do it on my own, but never made the time to teach myself.

Any advice ... I'm all ears!

post-1552-12986520097198_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986520097415_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986520110576_thumb.jpg

post-1552-12986520110665_thumb.jpg

I hope you are getting a good price.

I wouldn't bother with it. Not at 4".

Withe time it will take programing these decals should run $100.00 each.

Your talking five colors on the pepper alone.

I just did 2 banners with a 5 color graphic that was approx 8 x 11 inches. It took me about 10 minutes to do the actual placement on the banner. Count in about 5 minutes for cutting all the vinyl,and 2 minutes for vectorizing (with inkscape).....well I could do the pepper decal for about $6 and make money IF it was at least 10 of them. Just one...I would charge $15. And be happy to get it. I would not make a huge profit but it could lead to a lot of business down the line.

Haumana, this might be a good time to learn. He's not asking for many so I would write off some of the time it takes to learning and not try to charge too much. Especially if you said he is a return customer. I did 30 three color decals and it is always the first 3 or 4 where you figure out how to do it. Then the rest go really fast. Since you are only making a couple you will not have that advantage. These look like good ones to start with. With the black in back and seperation between, they should not be hard to do. I used a light table for mine. It helped me line them up.

Thanks! I know that I need to learn how to do it, so this is definitely a trial by fire.

I know that I need to separate by colors, do does everything fit together like a puzzle, or is layering best? I will definitely try to "home made" registration marks like you guys have suggested in some of the other postings. Is there any wet application fluid I should be using while to trying to fit everything together or do I just a really steady hand? I guess I should be glad that the decals are small to start me off.

Layering is best. Make the black go behind everything then layer each of your other colors on top. I just did one at work that was 6 colors. I did it different than I usually do. I started with my front two colors and used the same application tape all the way down to the last color. Instead of using the backing paper to build up the layers I used the application tape. Each time a new color was added to the application tape.

Just be careful about the layering and think it all the way through.  White layered over red looks pinkish when compared to a scrap piece of white.  If possible, when layering, I prefer to do the lighter colors sooner in the process than later (if the design allows it).  That way whites are white, and not pink, or blu-ish.  But sometimes you just can't help it.

I'd say collectively, we can help you through the layer process if you're not sure.  You will defintely laugh once you see just how easy it is...seriously...and will smack yourself for even being worried about trying it...beginner or not...

It's DEFINTELY something you'll want to learn ASAP!

I thought about that, but the local shops around here only to "big" orders (100+ decals).

I think I have a lot of practice ahead for me  :)

I've done 5 layers. Just think it out before you layer them. Start with the top color and work your way back. If you have a color that is on top and then what would be the bottom you will have to cut those sections separt. Start with the pepper since you should have all those colors and see how it goes before buying any more vinyl.

Someone help with this but there a post on here, on how to get orcal samples. I did it and got about every color they have but pink and a light orange.

Its really not all that difficult to do youll get the hang of it.In the meantime watch this

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

Guest gracewriter

Awesome video!!!  Did you post this in the instructional section?  Please do!

Just had a spare bit of time so have had a crack at how I would re-draw that pepper image,

Im still new at cutting so others should have a look over the eps, I have done the image so the black is the solid background, then colours layered ontop.

Not had a close look but it may need some tidying up also.

Pepper.eps

Pepper.eps

Mahalo everyone! You guys are soooo the bomb. bowdown.gif

Awesome video. I feel a lot better tackling the project now. WooHoo!!  banana.gif

Thanks Goodwin for the vector. I'll give it a go, although I think it'll take me a lot longer than 5-minutes (as shown in the video) to layer the vinyl like that. No time like the present to give it a try though  :thumbsup:

This has got to be the best forum on the internet!

thankyou.gif

Okay, so I've somewhat started the "testing" phase of my learning curve here. Have a few lame questions ...

I guessing that clear would be the best bet application tape to use, but how necessary is it? I ask because I only have paper tape and need to know if I need to run out and buy myself a roll of the clear stuff. If I do need to use clear application tape is ORATAPE 95 OPTIVIEW Application Tape suitable? I'm guessing that will be the cheapest clear application tape at my local supply store, and I'd probably have to buy the entire roll 14".

I noticed from the video that some of the colors aren't (the text), while others were one on top of the other. How many layers is too many layers, and is there any special handling (besides a steady hand) and application I would tell my customer about? Will the edges of some of the layered colors start to peel or curl after some time has passed?

Oh Goodie, I wanna field this one  ;)

I guessing that clear would be the best bet application tape to use, but how necessary is it?

It's really a matter of personal preference.  I've got a roll of clear that I have had since I first started.  Bought it thinking it would make things alot easier.  I just found that over time, I liked paper tape more and learned to do it.  You can use either one.  I know it's a bit 'old school' but I've always cut my registration marks out after I apply the tap (all layers except for the bottom).  It's just how I was shown.  More than one way to do it.  You've got to find your niche, and that's really what it's all about.  I visited a friend not so long ago and they're still messing with signs and it was amazing to see how different they did things vs. me.  But the end result, no matter the process or exact product used, was the same.  Having said that, it's personal preference.  Once you understand the layer process, it's second nature to do layers...  As far as the app tape, you'll try one, and if you learn to do it that way, with that product, and like it...you'll probably never change unless you see more benefits doing it another way. 

How many layers is too many layers, and is there any special handling (besides a steady hand) and application I would tell my customer about?

How many layers is too many?  If you have more than you need  :thumbsup:  In all seriousness, you can do a bunch, but it depends on the size, the application etc.  Too many layers to me, looks 'stacked' or "thick" and I don't care for it...but that's me.  I've always tried to stick to 3-4 and if it's going to be more, it's probably not worth it. 

Will the edges of some of the layered colors start to peel or curl after some time has passed?

I'd have to say no.  Depends on the vinyl you're using but I've found it's extremely aggressive when on other vinyl.  I'd be more worried about the base layer coming up then the layers of vinyl on other layers.  That's a product (base layer coming off substrate) of your surface prep though.

Haumana, I don't think you will have more than 2 layers of vinyl on either of your designs you are working on. I only have paper application tape and have found that a light table helps align the registration marks. I don't own a light table so I substitute a small table lamp under my glass toped coffee table. Sometimes I will also tape it to a window if it is bright outside.