Sign in to follow this  
puffer1

Cannot set up usb port. Please help!

Ive been trying to set up usb port for 3 hrs and cannot figure this out. I installed it like the book said and set it to comm3 and when i click to cut it will say it sent the file but nothing happens.

I'm pretty sure you have to set the port at com 1 and not 3.At least that's the way the other usb setups run.

Ok i tried all the comm 1 2 usb and lpt and none of them will work? The only one that will do any thing is the usb and it says 4320 bytes sent breifly and cutter does nothing?

Did you turn the computer off,or restart it after you set the usb port to com1?You have to clear the memory settings when you change ports because it loads up the port you had previously designated.You may also need to check your bios settings to see if com1 in enabled in the bios.

the settings that run the motherboard on your computer.When you restart your computer,you should see a message that syas something like "to run setup press delete".When you press the delete key,it will take you to a setup menu for your motherboard.

I tries the bios and it appears to be ok. Im not shure where to go from here? I may just end up slitting my wrists before this is over. Help?

When I set mine up,I couldn't get it to run on the usb port or the lpt port.So I used the serial cable and set it up on com 1.I have not had any problems since.But if you have anything set up that uses com1 it could be causing a conflict with your cutter.Check and make sure you don't have a modem or mouse or anything else running on com1.But,in my personal opinion I would forget the usb and set it up on com1 with the serial cable.It's a lot less hassle.

the only output i have on my computer is a usb port. Actually i do have a serial port but the cable supplied with the cutter is wrong. The cable they gave me has two male end and  i need 1 male and 1 female end to hook up.

Open up artcut

and go to File/Artwork/press Legend 0001 and press ok .......... You should have an image to cut

Now Go to File/cut ../..plot (you should have Engravers/ Router Output

Press Device

Scrool down untill you see refine ( I counted 57 down)

then choose your Model Mine is Refine MH721 (DMPL)  add this device

Now Across from device you should see link to:  Change it to whatever you are using ....ie: comm1(serial)

or if using Usb ..I would imagine change it to Usb .... I have my plugged into the serial port .....Workd 1 hour after I got it .. That includes putting the Stand together ....

If I can help out just send me a Message

Well all you have told me i have done approx 100 times now and it just wont go? I may just have to get a serial port and try it that route. Is there a reason that the supplied serial port cord will not work with my computer? My computer has a male serial port output and the serial cord supplied has two male ends on it. I need a male and female cord?

Well upon further looking the only port available would be the usb port. my serial port would be  a 15 prong port .

That woulp be your lpt1 port ....use the cord that was provided using that cord and set it up that way ie....link to lpt1

That is a 15 prong port

it cant be the lpt port because the port that comes out the back of my computer is the same size as the serial port but it has 15 prong holes in it?

If you have a 15 prong port,then you are looking at a video port.You probably have a computer with an onboard video that has had another video card installed like a 3d graphics card.The lpt port is a 24 pin port.The com port is a 9 pin,as well as the usb port on the older cutters.You are right about the cable.If you don't have the right cable then the com port will really not work.Have you gone to the control panel of the usb connection you set up and changed it from com 3 to com 1?I can't tell you exactly what it's real name is,but when I tried setting mine on usb there was a panel to change the com ports.That's all I can tell you.I gave up on the usb and went with the com,so I have little knowledge on the setup.The only other option would be to have them send you the right cable so you can run it on com1.

Ya i changed it to comm 1 in the devise manager properties thing and nothing. I ve never had so much trouble installing something like this. Its been 7 staight hours and im going a little crazy by now.

Hello, did you go through all the steps on the setup sheet? If you can't get this to work on Com 3 then you can try com 1 or 2 but you will need to change the setting in the device manager and Artcut so they both match. Can you tell us if you are getting an error message when you try to cut or anything else unusual? If you are still can't get this connected over the weekend there are some more things I can walk you through on Monday that should get you connected. Here are the USB instructions in case you haven't seen them already.

USB

If USB port installation is necessary, you will need to install the USB to serial converter drivers (contained on the small white CD labeled corel driver). If your CD drive is labeled D: the drivers can be found at this path for Windows XP-   

D:USB+CE1000-60DRIVERUSB2 DRIVERXP232R 

1. An instruction guide is now in the new downloads section of the website

http://uscutter.com/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=5 

2. Once the drivers are installed, you will need to go into the device manager to change the port settings from COM4 (or default setting) to COM3 so that it can be recognized in Artcut 2005. Follow this path to get to that setting in control panel>system>hardware>device manager>ports>USB serial port>properties>port settings>advanced> then change the USB port setting here.

3. Set the "link to" setting in the Artcut software to USB and click on the "setup" button next to it. In this setup screen make sure the port is also set to USB and the DTR/DSR setting is unchecked. Leave everything else at default settings and click ok.

Yes i tried the usb setup sheet and nothing.  When i click the cut button it shows the green progress bars but the cutter must not receive the message because it does nothing.  I did end up hooking the cutter up to my other computer through the lpt port and did finally get it to work but i still need to get the usb function to work on this computer as this is my main computer.

If you are still having problems then please give me a call or email me. I've already helped a few people this week with similar connection problems but not sure if you were one of them.

Puffer, make sure you hit the setup button on teh printer and set it to 4800 baud.  The default ANY time you press reset is 9600.  Just something to add to the new features Marcel.  Make it so that does not reset everytime you press it.  My bets is your software is correctly configured by now, but your printer may be at 9600 still.  If its not 4800, it will show its sent to the printer, but it won't do anything. 

Give that a shot.  I've learned alot in the last 2.5 hours with my new one I just got. 

Brandon

I had the same problem, since the USB is emulating a virtual comm port. You might have a look at the device manager, make sure all the ports are lined up. then goto port settings make sure its 4800 bps as the transmission, then to correct irregularities in the transmission... in the advanced section of the port settings enable the FIFO buffers, then change your recieve buffer and transmission buffer to medium or slow. That should correct any degredation in the signal, it makes it slower for the machine to read properly. If that doesnt work, I suggest buying a PCI com port card and install it.