Sign in to follow this  
DowntimeDesign

What is your favorite clamshall heat press??

Looking to expand from decals to start doing tshirts and hoodies. I've been doing research and I am pretty sure I want a clamshell style. I would like to stay under 1000 dollars but I also want something that is going to yield a quality product so I am open to different prices. Thanks in advance guys!!

Hello-

I play with them all all day.  I'm not really a fan of clamshells though we sell a lot of them.  (I've got nice scars on the top of my arms from clamshell carelessness - something that happens when you're trying to do a lot of garments at once.)   I really prefer a swing-away and advocate going to a pneumatic if you're doing volume.   Clamshells - even auto opens - can get to be a strain fast if you're doing more than a few dozen shirts.

In my humble opinion, the best thing going right now it this one.  It's very ergonomic and incredibly well built.  About the best press no one has ever heard of.

http://www.uscutter.com/Automatic-Opening-Swing-Arm-Heat-Press

A bit outside of your stated price range and will require a compressor (About $150 at a good hardware store) but you'll be able to crank out shirts all day without feeling like your back is going to break.  

I am currently looking a a Hotronix 16" x 16" clamshell. Decided to spend a little more money to get a quality machine. I like the easy open feature and it seems very helpful that it gives a nuematic value for your pressure to make sure you are consistent with your pressure.

I burned my hands several times with my first clamshell - haven't burnt myself once (knock on wood!) since I upgraded to a swing-away.

I burned my hands several times with my first clamshell - haven't burnt myself once (knock on wood!) since I upgraded to a swing-away.

That hurts a little bit when you brush the top of your hand against the heat platen. My first press was a 15"x15" Might Press clamshell. My next one will be an air operated swing away.