castironrobbie

Cutter feeding too much vinyl

Hey ya'll. New to the forum and fairly new to vinyl!

I am having an issue where I am wasting far too much vinyl. My mh 871 feeds too much vinyl when I select cut on SCALP. Sometimes so much that it falls off the machine.

Is there a rule of thumb? I know scalp cuts based off of where your image is located on their graph, but how should the graph be set up as to not waste as much vinyl?

I am using 24" rolls.

Thanks, and please if you need any addition info leave a message and I'll get back to you. Much appreciated :)

LOL @ everyone that says get away from SCAL.

Really.... What's the big deal? I have zero issues with it and can complete most jobs as quick or quicker than in any other program.

• Like 3

Really.... What's the big deal? I have zero issues with it and can complete most jobs as quick or quicker than in any other program.

USCUTTER felt that there were sufficient 'issues' to stop offering it bundled with their value cutters.

You can laugh all you want, but from DAY ONE, that CraftEdge program was plagued with glitches.

I was one of the early adopters, and realized the drawbacks were evident in the first five minutes.

Let me ask a simple question, since you claim to have zero issues -- can you hit the RETURN key and start typing the next line of text, which would appear to be a rather useful and logical function?

I'm not going to get into a debate about SCAL.

It is what it is.

Perhaps JBurns is on the right track to solving the O-P question.

There should be a checkbox in there somewhere to command "Set to Origin" (the unchecked option would be "Set to Workspace" and the cutter will advance to whatever position the graphic or text appears within the workspace --- although this is rarely used in normal production)

Im right with ya Eazy. The only thing i dont like about it is the text on arc. everything works flawless for me joined with Ai as a starting point.

I think it is mostly Slice&Dice...  LOL

Uh, no, in fact, it is USCUTTER management.

Go argue with them if you feel they are mistaken.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="slice&dice" data-cid="405740" data-time="1445192636"><p>

Let me ask a simple question, since you claim to have zero issues -- can you hit the RETURN key and start typing the next line of text, which would appear to be a rather useful and logical function?<br />

<br />

</p></blockquote>

Actually, yes I can.

post-37957-0-00900700-1445199876_thumb.j

• Like 1

Uh, no, in fact, it is USCUTTER management.

Go argue with them if you feel they are mistaken.

Maybe they got tired of spending extra $$$ on an agreement. Think about it..... You're only getting a $30 trial software now. All they're doing is increasing their bottom line.

(Return key for multiple lines of text)

Actually, yes I can.

It did not work that way for a long time as the software went through many updates and fixes.

I'm glad to see they took care of such a simple design flaw that wasn't included from the beginning.

As for the reasons they kicked SCAL to the curb, all I can say is that "Pro" software wasn't worth $199 to begin with.

Lament it's demise all you want, but the fact remains it's no longer being provided to buyers of USCUTTER mid-range value machines.

It is being bundled with the MH, still.

Using the calculation of price, that means you are paying $199 retail for the SCAL software that comes with the MH unit, and that 24" MH cutter (with stand) is $100.

I applaud USCUTTER for going with Vinyl Master CUT  (it's certainly NOT a trial version, by the way ---- it's a functional & clean program that runs circles around SCAL).

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Eazy" data-cid="405736" data-time="1445186566"><p>

Back to topic..... Is it feeding before or after the cut job?</p></blockquote>

Feeding before. Someone on here mentioned setting the x and y coordinates. I am not setting them. Should I punch the numbers into my machine that are found on scalp when I set an image in place?

I was under the impression the software cut based on where the image is located automatically.

Yeah, wasting a lot of vinyl. So annoying when I have to cancel because it fell out. I think it usually happens after the first cut. I pull my vinyl over by about 6 - 8 inches incase. But then the cut is made that far up and the rest is useless.

How should I be starting a feed?

Thanks for your help everyone

There is no need to press the origin button on the MH keypad before each cut begins. The origin is the lower right hand corner, by default, and ONLY if you need to alter that position would you resort to using the OFFLINE/Origin settings to jog the carriage head to another point.

(Yes, hitting the reset button is worthwhile to clear the memory of prior jobs)

The problem being described here probably is related directly to the decision of the software to begin cutting where the graphic is located on the mat in SCAL.

That is what we've been trying to explain to castironrobie.

He has to select the option within the software cut screen to IGNORE wherever the position of his graphic is on the mat, and start cutting in the lower right-hand corner point, no matter where the graphic appears on the mat.

From what he's saying, he's not doing that correctly, and he needs to locate the feature called "Fit To Origin" (or whatever it's called in SCAL) which will solve this issue I'm sure.

There should be a simple and easy solution for getting the cutter to START at the default origin (lower right-hand corner) and not go searching for any other point on the vinyl.

So, in the interest of being helpful, I just decided to download the trial version of SCALpro and see if I can track down the setting that needs to be selected in the cutter setup screen.

Well, the program would not run, and provided me with this cute little failure message ------

post-21408-0-17278500-1445215790_thumb.j

• Like 1

I just got in from a work get together, so I'm off the computer and using the mobile tonight. I'll post the mat screenshot tomorrow.

Thanks for the assistance everyone. I am going to get my cutter running tomorrow when I get home from work and follow the steps you've provided to see if they solve the issues. You guys rock

Thanks slice. I haven't used an MH cutter in forever. I vaguely remember reset or origin helping me with a similar problem but it wasn't SCALP specific.

Post a screenshot of your mat. You probably have the mat oriented wrong. 

I repeat -- there is nothing to be gained by going down this route.

The proper solution is to find the command within the cutting software to start at the default origin point (lower right-hand corner, also known as the HOME point) without regard to the position of the graphic on the mat.

(Attached screen shots from SignBlazer showing this function ---  SCAL should also have this same command somewhere)

post-21408-0-27776900-1445218758_thumb.j

post-21408-0-76603200-1445218764_thumb.j

The fact that it happens after the first set of decals makes me think it's because he needs to reset the origin on the cutter between jobs. If he doesn't the cutter will go back to the starting point of the first set of decals. This material has been removed so the material will fall out.

If someone who's using SCAL could just look at their cutting setup screen, they could immediately provide the answer about what software 'button' to choose in order for the program to begin a cut at the HOME (origin) point, instead of running across the vinyl to match where the graphic is located on the mat (also known as WYSIWYG).

I'm surprised that nobody has looked into their SCAL and simply offered the details here of deselecting that WYSIWYG feature.

you can select to tell the machine how much to feed out after your done cutting as well. I have mine setup for 5.25" past the final cut so i can just trim off barely any waste. see image post-88251-0-58690300-1445270673_thumb.j

latest scalp4pro update today..for this version..Make sure your updated... 4.0.3.0 had a origin point issue

4.035 fixes

• Added option to export SVG at 96 dpi for ScanNCut
  • Fixed a problem with print resolution when using pattern fills
  • Improved Cricut Design Space SVG compatibility
  • Added additional cut presets for various models
  • Fixed Duplicate preview updating on value changes
  • Fixed a problem with slow cutting with USCutter models
  • Like 1

If someone who's using SCAL could just look at their cutting setup screen, they could immediately provide the answer about what software 'button' to choose in order for the program to begin a cut at the HOME (origin) point, instead of running across the vinyl to match where the graphic is located on the mat (also known as WYSIWYG).

I'm surprised that nobody has looked into their SCAL and simply offered the details here of deselecting that WYSIWYG feature.

Depending on where i place my vinyl in my machine. i always set my origin point( Or home) on my machine before do any cuts,I never have my material in the same place, othewise i could just set the home setting on the cutter and never have to hit it again,But since i do place my material in different places i make sure to set it home Everytime for my corner starting point.

Here you go lol..post-88251-0-06781500-1445271461_thumb.j