rlvied

Opinions needed

Getting ready to buy some software and would like some opinions. I have used adobe Illustrator a little and can get by but I thought about Corel also. Adobe has Bridge for previewing ai & eps files. Does corel also have something to view your files?

Thanks for any advice or input

Thank you Mark. Does Corel have a way to view your eps or ai files like bridge?

Corel has a CDR viewer but needs to be CDR files. (free from corel site)

Irfanview  will let you see EPS files not AI files.(free as well, don`t forget the plugin and ghostscript plugin)

mark-s 

• Like 1

I'm kind fo partial to AI personally but there is a definite learning curve to get past. Once you do you'er set for life and I use the program for all kinds of non vinyl related things. 

• Like 2

Goose I would prefer ai also but the price and monthly pay for the cloud is a draw back. I kind of like software that you buy and get the disk. Old school or just old I like having the software.

• Like 2

You cant view AI or eps before you bring them in Corel, However Corel is easier to learn, and seems more people are getting in to using it. I have used Corel from almost the beginning and dabbles in AI and think corel is easier. Unfortunately its an up to you kinda of situation. If you havent done so I believe Corel has a 30 day trial on X7 maybe give it a shot and see what you prefer.

• Like 2

In all fairness, I have to admit, over the past few weeks I've been using Illustrator more and more.

The reason is simple... I have a new, faster computer and Bridge isn't the slug in the mud is used to be.

I still have laptops with XP, windows 7, and Vista as backups but, have sorted out windows 8 with all my tools.

Illustrator (and all my programs) opens and reacts much faster with my huge files as well.

Bridge's ability to preview so many different formats is a real boon.

It even previews VinylMaster's native format, vdoc.

Corel is a very good product as well... I like it's all in one style.

If I had not come so far down the road with Adobe, I would take up Corel but,

at this point, I don't think it has anything to offer that I don't already have.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Hatter. I saw where uscutter has x6 on sale. That is what is making me think about it.

Thanks for the input Hatter and Skarekrow. I do like the idea of seeing my files without opening them first but uscutter does have x6 on sale. Also I do like to be able to cut from ai or corel. Also want to try halfwiz to help make vectors.

k

Thanks for the input Hatter and Skarekrow. I do like the idea of seeing my files without opening them first but uscutter does have x6 on sale. Also I do like to be able to cut from ai or corel. Also want to try halfwiz to help make vectors.

k

Your welcome, I dont really see the issue of not being able to see the file before it opens, a click on the x always closes it and it isnt that time consuming for me. X6 is pretty darn good theres a lot of upgrade in X7 bit if you arent needing them then why pay for them. In the last couple of years I went X3 to X4 to X5 to X6 and now X7 all full versions..Hmmmm thats why I have no money lol.

• Like 1

There are free and commercial thumbnail viewers that can handle eps, and sometimes ai files.  These generally require ghostscript be installed.  Xnview and XnviewMP are free ones.  There are possible others.  ST Thumbnail Explorer is a commercial one, though it is more synergistic with CorelDraw installed.

CorelDraw Suite has Corel Connect, which generally displays thumbnails of local eps files and most all ai files in addition to being the portal for their online content

I find Illustrator to be capable of almost anything a vector graphics program can be capable.  It has some features, like 3D, that is cumbersome in CorelDraw.  It also has the plus of being widely used everywhere and makes for exchangability of files easier.  However, I prefer Draw as it in my opinion, is more productive as given repetitive and basic tasks can be done more quickly.   Plus, if you chose, you can own it outright instead of having to subscribe.

• Like 1

About the only non-subscription option for AI would be to find a CS5 or CS6 version out there with the disc. I am still running CS5 but have added a couple hundred dollars in fantastic plug-ins from Astute Graphics that make it a little more productive. I have considered stopping up to the CC version but as yet have not felt the need. The only thing I wish AI had that it lacks is a true block shadow and cast shadow effect that you can get in the high end version Flexi. You can still build them but it's time consuming. 

• Like 2