TaterNuts

Adhesive Removal Question...

A few years back, i put some yellow stripes on my bird.  On a whim, I decided I wanted something diffrent... Well, Now I've got this terrible tacky glue left behind...

I tried pulling the stirpes off fast, Then slow, Then with the hairdryer, then with alchol, then with Goo Gone, then windex...

I got this glass and plastic cleaner where i work, its a aerosol foam, and it seems to be working the best, but... Its a slow process and I spray the foam and wait for it to penetrate and then rub slowly to get the glue off...  I worked on it probably a good 4 hours yesterday, and got only maybe half of it done.

BTW, the vinyl is Glosstech 5 that was sold at the former SSK. ( I loved that vinyl too )

Anyone know of any other faster methods that will work...?

yepper just dont put on direct to it it will wipe it away if you do spray on it wipe it fast

Rapidtac makes an adhesive remover that seems to work pretty well.If you were going to cover the area again you could use a small amount of acetone on a rag ,but it would probably tak some of the clear coat off.

I use WD40 but only because that's what I have handy.It works pretty well. The guy at the local sign supply co said alcolhol but not the rubbing alcohol. It needs to be 90 %. I am gonna go to the liquor store one of these days and get some PGA and see if it works.

Anyone know if this stuff will work on window tint adhesive too?

I've tried with brake cleaner and carb cleaner before, but I then end up fuming myself to death in the car. No, I do not have all the doors closed, etc. The smell just lingers and stays on the glass for a while.

:D  OMG! K listen up guys!!!

1. Never use brake fluid or carb cleaners on any painted surfaces. You are not just removeing the adhesives but the clear coat as well!!!! If you are trying to use these products on for window film removal you are killing your felt and gaskets not to mention the plastics.

A. Safe and easy ways to remove graphics from painted surfaces.

a. Rubber Eraser Wheels

b. Heat gun on low to med setting

c. Giffy steamer ( its made for safe removal )

d. Orange Peel Adhesive removal

e. Vinegar and Water mix

f.  Soapy water applied to graphic with plastic bag laid on top of graphic (Leave in sun)

B. Safe and easy ways to remove window tint

a. Giffy Steamer

b. Heat gun on low setting

c. Orange Peel Adhesive Remover.

1 * the trick to window tint removal is to keep mild heat applied as you pull both layers together as you go. If tint starts to peel abart then stop and allow heat to soften the area then pull again.

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY BRAKE FLUIDS NOR CARB CLEANERS

Go to an auto parts store and purchase some auto body prep.  This is the stuff that body shops use to clean cars before painting.  Works great...

;)  OMG! K listen up guys!!!

1. Never use brake fluid or carb cleaners on any painted surfaces. You are not just removeing the adhesives but the clear coat as well!!!! If you are trying to use these products on for window film removal you are killing your felt and gaskets not to mention the plastics.

A. Safe and easy ways to remove graphics from painted surfaces.

a. Rubber Eraser Wheels

b. Heat gun on low to med setting

c. Giffy steamer ( its made for safe removal )

d. Orange Peel Adhesive removal

e. Vinegar and Water mix

f.  Soapy water applied to graphic with plastic bag laid on top of graphic (Leave in sun)

B. Safe and easy ways to remove window tint

a. Giffy Steamer

b. Heat gun on low setting

c. Orange Peel Adhesive Remover.

1 * the trick to window tint removal is to keep mild heat applied as you pull both layers together as you go. If tint starts to peel abart then stop and allow heat to soften the area then pull again.

PLEASE DO NOT USE ANY BRAKE FLUIDS NOR CARB CLEANERS

I can see what your talking about with the paint and clearcoat but please elaborate on this" If you are trying to use these products on for window film removal you are killing your felt and gaskets not to mention the plastics"

Because with windows you can really use what ever you want.Unless you know something i don't

Rapidtac makes an adhesive remover that seems to work pretty well.If you were going to cover the area again you could use a small amount of acetone on a rag ,but it would probably tak some of the clear coat off.

DO NOT USE ACETONE ON A CAR. IT IS A PRETTY GOOD PAINT REMOVER.

Gotcha ! When you use certain cleaners or fluids on your windows they tend to run down into the felt strip on your gasket. The felt stip on your gasket is held together by a strong adhesive. When you use break fluids and other harsh chemicals they soak into your felt then dry. At first you will not notice that any damage has occured to your gaskets until some time has passed. You will start to notice your flet comming apart and dryrot.

This does not pose a problem to the customer that trades there vehicle in every 2-3 years but it does pose a problem to that customer that has classic cars and keeps them in mint condition.

Break Fluids take the oils out of the interior plastics making them dry out and crack or even discolor them in time. If silicone is bad for gaskets just think about the damage break fluids are doing.

I will post more later my break is over for now!!!  ;)