Sign in to follow this  
Quitetitan4

Wrapping a truck with bad paint

Well I had this great idea to Extreme Makeover a old Toyota 4 Runner as a flip. The truck has been painted before and the clear coat was faded on the top parts. We sanded everything smooth, sanding all obvious loose clear coat. After everything was prepped I proceeded the lay the wrap on the hood. Completing 95% perfectly the last edge pulled a huge piece of the old clear ruining the whole thing. Knowing that perfect OEM paint is preferred, is there any suggestions for applying wrap to damaged paint? Any help would be appreciated! :P

So I'm not going to lie saying I know a lot about wrap. I do know about base and clear. a lot of shops will tell you to feather the edges on the clear and your good to clear over it. What Iv'e seen in my shop is there's a reason it's coming off. I would sand the whole thing down making sure you have all the separating taking of. Possibly a coat of decent primer. That's probably not the fast cheap answer, but if I were to have one wrapped that's the direction I would go. 

Oh yeah its Crappy clear we sanded and wrapped directly over old to avoid repainting. It seemed we had all of the really bad stuff off. After we pulled the wrap in defeat feeling like failures it pulled quite a bit more off lol. I had to sand again to prep for paint. Didn't want to risk ruining $300 of wrap tring to continue.

I have a 96' Dodge with peeling paint that I plan to wrap some day. Dodge used a crappy primer for a few years in the 90's. My plan was to remove all of the old paint and primer, then re-prime and wrap. At that point I might as well just paint the thing.

Yeah our thing was trying short cut and and make a cool hunting truck. I think with a little more work on the hood it would have been fine! I ended up sanding the other spots the wrap pulled when we snatched it off and noticed even with 80 grit some of the old clear sanded right off and some i had to grid on. Obviously it still had some weak .......... Painter has it now matte AMC Pasture Green Using the wrap on father in laws Jeep Cherokee♻♻