Sign in to follow this  
MadHatterGraphix

Dollar Tree Material Help

So I went to the dollar tree because I had some crazy Idea. However I thought to hard again before learning an important detail. I bought a couple of the tablet sleeves they sell. I figured I could add some nice designs on it with HTV, however I dont know what the heck the material is made of. I figure its neoprene or something like that. My other question is what HTV should I use on them? Thanks in advance

post-35756-0-38558300-1438743029_thumb.j

You'll never know until you try. I would use Siser Easyweed and definitely protect your heat press surfaces. Also, put some regular vinyl backing, folded and shiny side out, inside it to prevent it from possibly melting together.

• Like 2

I've seen a few people post after images on Facebook of horrible, goopy, drippy, melted messes of cheap tote bags and other items they bought and tried to press and didn't use sufficient cover paper or teflon sheets to protect their press.  Please don't be one of those people!

I wouldn't even risk wasting the HTV until you know for sure the sleeves will hold up to a quick press at temp - if the sleeve survives, then put some HTV on it - but that's me - I'm a cheapskate.

Unless the sleeves are really stretchy, or nylon, then Easyweed is probably the best choice to start with.

I've bought hats from Dollar Tree for HTV pressing and they work OK - the material is thin and you need to pad your platen a bit so you don't get a rectangle shape pressed into the hat, but for cheap give aways (especially for kids), they are more than adequate.  You can get some good items at Dollar Tree, like their glass tumblers and beer mugs (when you can find them), but some of it is a real crap shoot, and you can't count on them having the same items the next time you go back, either.

Great advice the both of you. I better make sure I got good protection on that press being as expensive as it is. I will give it the heat test and go from there I guess.

Let us know how it works...good idea!

Sue2

Everything I find on it is, it is neoprene but still testing it warming up the press right now.

Edit:

Did a heat test at 305 degree F for 15 seconds, and a second test at 325 degrees F for 15 seconds and all is well no melting fabric. Now all I need is some HTV, been doing signs and haven't needed any.

post-35756-0-24974800-1438788835_thumb.j

I picked up several of these this evening. They had a few colors and 2 sizes. I may have to go online and order a bunch if demand goes good.