Moody Blue

Who can create a Font?

So I finally took the time to draw out a character palette for a type style I have been using for my truck graphics. I have been basically recreating and manipulating each and every word or phrase from scratch and after spending countless hours doing that, decided it was time to create a standard set of characters to use. Being a graphic artist, the creation of this was the easy part...but my weakness is taking this and making a usable font that I can simply type into illustrator and the kearning and outline automatically apply as if it were simply downloaded from a font website. I have taken a stab at Birdfont and cannot for my life set this is up to read and look how I want. I'm getting frustrated and at the moment will continue just using the individual characters to create the words each time. A lot less time consuming than before but would love a simple solution to just type it. Any advice? 

post-84967-0-17295500-1437580593_thumb.j

• Like 1

Though there are many free font editors out there, we focused on those that are still actively maintained and those that we can comfortably recommend. But if you're the adventurous type, do check out other free font editing software and projects such as GNU Font EditorDoubleTypeHorusBitmap Font Editor, andBitmap Font Editor.

Also Font Lab software.

mark-s

• Like 1

Ill have to check some of those out when I get a moment. The problem I had with Birdfont was I couldn't change the kearning (or isn't clear how) and some of the characters came out MUCH larger and others came out smaller so no consistency across the board. I thought that was strange being that it came from the same native file and each character is a pre-sized .SVG to be uploaded and still fluctuated and looked awful. I would love to be able to create and use my own fonts so maybe one of the other options will help. Thanks!

This software is pretty user friendly. I tried out the demo version. Have not picked it up yet. It was not available for mac at the time but I see they are there now.

http://www.cr8software.net/

Pretty sure with the full version you can create in AI and import. 

Steps to creating a font... - FontForge

this is what i started to learn but been so busy i havent finished it yet..looks like a great app and free called Font Forge. You can edit pre existing fonts you already have as well.. hope this link paste works..

importing an outline instructions etc

http://fontforge.github.io/importexample.html

I've used and like FontForge. But as of last year, the newer version ated 7-31-2012 had a serious flaw that caused crashes. I had to use the version dated 02-22-2011. Still has a bug or two but worked fine for me.

I've used and like FontForge. But as of last year, the newer version ated 7-31-2012 had a serious flaw that caused crashes. I had to use the version dated 02-22-2011. Still has a bug or two but worked fine for me.

I have the May 2015 version and i havent had any issues on my windows 8.1 .Knock on wood. lol

I have the May 2015 version and i havent had any issues on my windows 8.1 .Knock on wood. lol

You threw me on that verson date! So I did some research and found that Fontforge was moved and forked and now resides here:

http://fontforge.github.io/

with new versions as late as 06-12-2015. I did just download this latest version but I have no idea when I can test it out. Very happy to hear it's still being developed, and apparently completely re-written from the old version I have.

Thanks! :bear:

You threw me on that verson date! So I did some research and found that Fontforge was moved and forked and now resides here:

http://fontforge.github.io/

with new versions as late as 06-12-2015. I did just download this latest version but I have no idea when I can test it out. Very happy to hear it's still being developed, and apparently completely re-written from the old version I have.

Thanks! :bear:

I ended up changing to a different program which i found was way easier to learn. Im 95 % done with the Font art and its looking good.Just have to learn one thing in the editor ,Im new to this font stuff, but so far it looks awesome. hope to have it done soon.

I use font creator and im 99% done MoodyBlue.. .. What a workout to learn so much in just a few days and work at the same time lol..

I ended up changing to a different program which i found was way easier to learn. Im 95 % done with the Font art and its looking good.Just have to learn one thing in the editor ,Im new to this font stuff, but so far it looks awesome. hope to have it done soon.

I use font creator and im 99% done MoodyBlue.. .. What a workout to learn so much in just a few days and work at the same time lol..

Glad to hear it works for you. I just did a quick check on it and it's a bit too steep for my blood at the moment. Hope it's worth it!