Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy1212

New from Ga and frustrated

I bought my list cutter and I am brand new to the industry. I purchased the 28" Titan. I have it put together but I literally cannot find one single tutorial for this cutter. Everything on the uscutter site is not my cutter. I am completely lost and need help. I cannot find anything on whether to start from the right to left or vise versa. Absolutely no information on down force, zero out, cutting etc. I have searched you tube and google and have found NOTHING for this cutter. Please help before I scream!!! Thank you, Kim

I have heard that there is a little lack of info on the titans. Cutting will likely go from right to left. Most cutters are very similar with different names for some of the same functions. 

The basics:

You need a design to cut. They probably sent you Sure Cuts A Lot Pro 3 or 4 (SCALP) You can start off with just typing some text as a test file. 

You will have some drivers that need installed in order for SCALP to speak with the cutter 

There will be settings for pressure and speed and you will have to set your blade depth.

If your cutter came with some sort of pen attachment it would be smart to start out with that and a piece of paper so you can get it going without wasting vinyl. USCutter has tech support so you should have probably talked to them if your totally new. 

I did ONE google search for a "Titan vinyl cutter owners manual" and this came up:  

http://www.uscutter.com/static/PDFs/TITAN_Manual.pdf

Maybe it will help you. 

on mine I cut from the right. I use the fastest cutting speed. Downforce depends on the blade and the vinyl. Experiment til it cuts right for you. I have my overcut set to 0.100 and that's about it. Never had to change anything else from the default.

One note..the Titan will track straight IF you get it started straight to begin with.

• Like 1

Thank you so,much for responding!! Been a LONG DAY and I finally had to walk away. i wish I could find some classes or spend some time with an experienced person. Webinars for projects start to finish would be great too. The learning curve is going to be greater than I thought as far as terminology, vector or if a file is cutable etc. I have ZERO EXPERIENCE with illustrator or such programs which seems as though that's how I make a JPEG a vector.

you will get it. When I started, there were no forums and nobody would tell me anything. I made every mistake there was but learned from them. But that being said, this is the place to ask. There will always be someone willing to help.

• Like 5

Yes don't get discouraged. It does seem daunting at first but it's not that tough once you get into it. In a few months you will look back and wonder why you thought it was so tough. Trust me, it's an absolute blast! 

There are a lot of different options to create vector files. To start off with you can even just download some that are ready to go. Biggest thing most newbies have to get into their heads is that you are working with solid colors so most good vinyl jobs have 1 or 2 colors. You can do more but most work is simple designs. Too complicated or intricate designs are much harder to get cut properly and often are a real pain to weed. 

A good question to ask is what are your plans for the cutter? Are you planning on this as a hobby or a business. What type of cut vinyl are you wanting to do mostly? Etc.... The answer to these will help deiced what is the best road to choose going forward. For instance, if you are thinking you will be mostly hobby and fun stuff for family and friends etc... then the SCALP software may be adequate for you to get everything you want done. There is a growing crowd who are more and more skilled with SCALP and can give pointers on the in's and outs of that program for design and cutting. However if you are planning on a business and an expected long term commitment kind of thing then you would probably be better served investing your time into a more substantial design program. There will be a certain amount of learning no matter which direction you go and time spent learning SCALP will not necessarily transfer over into something like Illustrator or Corel or Inkscape. Some things are similar and a lot things are the same end result but getting from the starting point A to finished cut ready file Z go completely different pathways depending on which way you go. The reason for committing to a more robust program for a business would include making and receiving files from other sources and being in "the know" when dealing with people who have been going to some other competitor up until they meet you. Most actual businesses run either Illustrator, Corel or Flexi. There are quite a few on the forum who also work with the free program Inkscape and I recommend downloading and playing with it a little if for no other reason than to get your feet wet. Inkscape is IMO a better design program than SCALP but neither it nor Corel or Illustrator will cut directly from the native program. Any of these would need to either be exported to a cutting program or a plug-in installed that will send the file through that cutting program to the cutter. SCALP can function as a cutting utility if you wanted to design in one of the others and send the file through SCALP to the cutter. Flexi can design and cut and is pretty well established as the premier sign shop program however the HUGE cost involved with the full program keeps most of us from going that route. Any way you decide to go there are people on here who will give you aide from time to time. 

• Like 1