miked

MH871 Will not communicate with my computer anymore

I don't use this thing all the time, in fact I haven't used it in months.  I only bought it to make yard signs for myself and the occasional sticker for my kids.   I went to use it the other day and it wouldn't even print a simple 24"x2.5" name.  I was putting the letters where ever it felt like.   I tried a couple of times and instead of getting too upset I just stopped using.  Now fast forward to this morning, it won't print anything.  When you go to the cut screen and hit cut, it does nothing.  The little green bar goes about 1/8 to 1/4 inch and just sits there for ever.  I tried to remove and reload the drivers and also update the program.  But still nothing.  This thing is only about 6-7 months old.   I probably haven't even cut 20' of vinyl yet?  Very aggravating.   Something supposed to be so simple is turning into such a headache.   If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to express them.  

Thank You

Mike 

Sounds like your using USB,it is not true USB..cheap Chinese...  Serial connection is always better...  Put it on a serial cable, a serial card or a Tripplite Keyspan Adaper,  that is the brand name... 

Also make sure your cutter is grounded good to the stand, if you have one..

And the baud rate is 4800 on that cutter according to instructions....

Make sure your com port numbers match in your computer device manager and your software.

• Like 1

If that doesn't fix it... Drop me an email ; )

Interesting.  I just got my USCutter MH871-MK2 and I can only make one cut at a time.  If freezes when I try to do a second cut.  I would have to turn my plotter off.  Go into task manager to close the SCALP3 and reopen.  Such a hassle, especially for multicolor cuts.  I will try reinstalling the software.  If that does not work, I will try the serial route.  You would think USB would be better but this is not the case.

The USB on the value cutters is not TRUE USB like higher end cutters.  Graphtec, Roland etc.  Value cutters have  Cheap  Chinese chips..    Best to go serial or a Triplitte Keyspan Adapter.  That is the brand name.  A Belkin will also work.   DON'T go buy some Radio Shack or Best Buy.  The  cables   Tripplite and Belkin are what work with vinyl cutters.

The MH cutters are very limited on memory as stated on the ads.    And very prone to static problems... You bought the bottom cutter... So don't expect it to run like a professional higher end cutter.   It will take a lot of patience and tweeking.  This is a reason people upgrade as soon as they make some money.   A cutter with a servo motor does not have these problems.

Great info MzSkeeter!  Thanks.  I just ordered my Triplitte Keyspan Adapter.  I found a temporary remedy so the software would not crash, but it is a hassle.  I would only be able to make one cut.  After that, when I would try to cut again it would roll back my vinyl off the rollers and then start cutting into the silicone strip.  I would have to then hit the reset button to stop it from cutting the design.  After trying to troubleshoot it, I found that after one design is cut and complete, I would just cycle the plotter off then on again, set the origin and then it would work fine.  The software did not crash.  I guess it will do for now.