dirtrocker

Can't believe I can't find this font.

I'd have never expected I'd need a font ID'd, but here I am.

I've tried everything I can think of to find this font.

I've come close, but the 4 seems to be different on everything I can find.

I just can't seem to find the font that matches it.

Typewriter is close on all of the letters, but it seems that the 4 is always just off or if I do find one that the 4 is close, the 7 or W or G are different.

No serifs on the letters and the X lines cross, not meet like a K, if that makes any sense.

Tried getting more samples, but the original is so badly damaged.

I'm trying to reconstruct an old paper for a friend to make a plaque.

Any ideas?

Found something close, the FF DIN font, but the 7 is a little off.

post-91508-0-09749600-1433030873_thumb.j

It's considerably old, so I was kind of hoping that it was some kind of typerwriter font.
I might have to just go with the FF DIN font and hope for the best.

The other option is to take several photographs and try and clean them up. 
But I wanted a crisp image for the plaque.

It looks like it was made to be distressed. I know there is a 10,000 free font download somewhere (maybe it's not free) I never went with that because I have about 2500 and often that is too many...but anyway I have seen a lot of crappy fonts out there that people generate in some "build your own font from total crap" website that tend to be nearly unusable. I have a feeling many of the 10K fonts would be nasty stuff or duplicates with a different name. 

Ok, I'm not trying to copy the "look", just the font.
I'm trying to clean it up and make it look new and fresh, not have the distressed look.

If that makes any sense.

I'm just trying to find the font that has the shapes, not the look.

It's from an old document (many years before computers), nothing that was computer made.

Redraw it

mark-s

That might be best. 

The other thought is to match up the font the best I can and change the letters and numbers that aren't the same to match what I'm trying to do.

If it were up to me, I'd just re-do the entire thing, but for some folks, the little details are what's important.

Especially when it comes to something from a grand parent or great-grand parent.

It's easy to say, "Just take a picture of it." But when it's so badly damaged, it's not an option.

Granted, I can age the image when I go to press it onto a plaque, but it needs to be readable.

Plus I have to overlay the document onto an old picture, which will make it that much more difficult.  :huh:

Thank goodness for sublimation, cause if I had to airbrush this, it would take weeks.  :lol:

• Like 1

maybe you can just re-draw the offending letters and use the type for the rest?