audisnapr

Experienced Guidance Needed RE: Multi Layered Vinyls

Audisnaper

How did you get your sizing right before cutting, just curious. I have vehicle templates but i dont know how to use them so so far i have just had to rely on my measurements

I did all my mock-up work in Corel with that image you see on the first page of this thread.  Basically it was the best side shot of the car I had.  I did everything small scale at first, but then once the layout was all done and I was happy with it, I took a measurement on the car and then scaled up the photo/mock-up drawing to match it in Corel (basically, I have a full scale photo/mock-up of the car in Corel).  So far, things have laid out pretty closely to the photo.  The number plate seemed to fit perfectly, but the star was just a tad longer than it should be - by maybe a 1/2".

A fellow VW racer is trying to get me to do some graphics for his VW Corrado.  My advice to him was:  stand back away from the side of the car, squat down so the lens of the camera is the same level as the top of the door (where it meets the glass) and take a clean, clear, STEADY, photo in high res if possible. An overcast day is the best to help alleviate defined shadows.  With a good photo, it would be much easier to mock something up.

Guest fivestar

audisnapr it's looking really good.  Yes that is how I do my templates whenever possible.  Get a GOOD pic and measure the vehicle, put it into your graphics program size it accordingly and start applying the graphics to the pic.  Someone on here taught me that, sorry I forgot their name.  Whomever you was thanks.  :)

hey guys... haven't gotten much achieved in the way of new graphics on the car, but while working on some mechanical improvements, I did get a chance to snap some better pics.

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Guest fivestar

That looks amazing.

I layer all mine and then apply, i do all of mine dry, i still to this day have not tried to apply wet...

a few updated pics - still have some more work to do, but its coming along.  first image is of the newest scheme we decided to go with.

4amracing.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

thanks for looking.

oops, forgot to add this a few weeks back when I finished the front chin spoiler/splitter...

IMG_2047.jpg

we'll probably remove it and change it to better match the graphics on the side of the car.

audisnapr  as for you question on lining up registration marks a little trick i do that  helps make it eazer leve your first set of reg on the substrate then use an razor to cut out you layer registration marks then you can line them all up exlatly

thanks wildstyle - we are very proud of our car :angel:

thanks tnt - that's exactly how I've been doing it - works very well.

thanks again guys.  some day I'm sure I'll have another project to show, but for now it's time to focus on the "go" and let the "show" be what it is.