Sign in to follow this  
muppetrabies

Stahls Thermo-Adhesive--What am I doing wrong??

Hey everyone!

So, trying to make some shirts with gold foil.  Using http://www.stahls.com/thermo-adhesive

from Stahls.  Doing 350 degrees, medium pressure for 3 seconds and then peeling it cold.  If you can see my picture, the backing is sticking badly to the adheasive.  Something I'm missing?  Or any tips from someone who has used this before?  Any input is welcomed!

post-18385-0-81406600-1432086517_thumb.j

My impression of the Thermo adhesive is you press for a few seconds and peel it hot then put the foil on and go the full recommended time and peel that cold. I have not used this product but have watched the videos. 

I'd also say I thought the carrier for the adhesive was clear so I am a little lost last to what the paper you have sticking there is coming from. 

It looks like you are cutting too deep and cutting into the liner. I have never used this material so I could be wrong.

• Like 1

We are cutting the adheasive side, weeding away the excess and leaving the paper backing on.  Pressing it onto the shirt and then the paper should peel away, but it is sticking.  I think we are doing it right, because once we sit there and pick all the paper off by hand and press the gold foil, it looks GREAT!  It just seems like the paper backing should peel away easily.  Seems like no one has used this stuff and now, maybe, I know why :)

Yep, tried hot peel and it is too gooey.  We can get it pretty good when we do about 330 degrees for 3 seconds, but good is a relative term as there is still some paper sticking, just not as bad.  Perhaps I'll give them a call and see what they suggest!  If I find anything out, I'll post.  Thanks for all the input so far.  If anyone has any other suggestions, go for it!

You are our guinea pig on this one evidently so post up what you find out and help the rest of us out. :D  

Have you checked the actual temp of your press?

If you look at the top of the S it looks like the liner has been cut. This will cause the liner to stick and tear on cut vinyl also.

• Like 1

Could your press be too hot?

I don't know anything about any of that, but it would seem to me that if it's sticking, it could be that maybe your press isn't exactly correct and maybe it's too hot?

Dunno. Just a thought.

After further reading the specs on the stuff you are using it is not the same product i saw in the video so it appears you are following the instructions perfectly assuming your press is at the right temperature. 

Ok..For anyone wondering, it was our press.  Which is strange because it was doing everything else (vinyl, transfers) just fine! 

So, we bought a new press and this stuff actually works pretty good!  Attaching a picture of an actual finished one here!   Have had lots of customers interested in it since I put one up on the display, BUT this stuff is not meant to last, especailly if you are putting it through the wash.  Anyhow, thanks for all the quick tips and help.

post-18385-0-42700300-1434651493_thumb.j