Sign in to follow this  
signmaker

SISER EasyWeed Heat Transfer Vinyl

what is the smallest letters that is usable and stay on cotton blend t-shirts??

I'm aware that font and stroke will make some difference..

my cutter will cut smaller letters than I think will stick to cotton t-shirts..

I want design to be wearable and will stay on..

I've done a lot of screen printing but this vinyl thing is new to me...

also heat transfer printed transfers that seems only good on light color shirts..

So ,I ask you guys that has done a lot of vinyl for any advice..

It makes a big difference in what cutter you are using, but with my Graphtec I can cut letters down to 3/16"  depending on the font of course. That is with Siser E-Z Weed. I'm sure others will chiime in soon. I use a 60* blade.

• Like 1

It all comes down to the stroke width in the font, and how many sharp serifs/corners there are.

Thick, heavy sans-serif fonts will generally work a lot better than skinny, serif fonts.  I've highlighted a few spots that will give you trouble at small sizes...

Just as with adhesive vinyl, there has to be a certain amount of surface area for it to adhere - and the sharp corners on most serif fonts will start picking away after a few washes.

post-24492-0-09831300-1430165004_thumb.p

• Like 4

About the only trouble I have ever had is certain brands of cotton shirts pill worse than others and can end up having your letters come up with the fuzz if they are too small. Other than that you can go smaller than you would likely want them to be if you want someone to be able to read them. I have probably had more issues with real thin circles or parts of very flowing fonts like Zapfino breaking due to garment stretch when too thin. A good cure for that is to switch to the Easyweed Stretch. 

• Like 1