Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

What format to save in?

In Inkscape, I have designed an image that I would like to use on my website. I'm just curious which format do I want to save the image in, so I can add it to the html coding on my website. Or is this even possible?!?!  ;)

Thanks for any help!

i added images to my website as gif and jpeg. tbh i dont think it really matters to much what format it is as long as its a high enough res image

Doesnt really matter if in jpeg or gif, you can even save it as a PNG and this will make the background (actually th parts that has no color) transparent.

Joe

Doesnt really matter if in jpeg or gif, you can even save it as a PNG and this will make the background (actually th parts that has no color) transparent.

Joe

that goes for gif files too, never used png (best try it really)

The problem is... Inkscape doesn't like any of those options.

This is an image created in Inkscape.

File > Export Bitmap.

If there are a lot of colors,then usually .jpg will get you better colors and clarity (provided that it's at the right compression level). If the colors are minimal, then .gif is the way to go (the file sizes are typically smaller and load faster in any browser). .png is beginning to catch on more and more for web based graphics, I (peronally) don't feel that it's at a level of use that I would consider 'standard' or 'typical' for web use yet.