Sign in to follow this  
dkipp

svg import question

Might be a simple question, but.

I'm using sure cuts 3 and whenever I import an svg from Illustrator it will almost always cut the image twice (on top of another). I can use trace image in sure cuts a lot and it's fine, but any time I import an svg it's doing it twice, it's driving me nuts. I've been using the pen tool to try and trouble shoot.

I like importing an svg because I like to tweek the image in Illustrator. I've attached two pictures and they might me hard to tell, but you can notice the svg import (bottom) is much darker since it did two passes.

post-87600-0-54984100-1424521730_thumb.j

post-87600-0-47187500-1424521736_thumb.j

You are creating a second cut by the trace method you are using. Some of the presets bake a compound shape that is the white or non-filled part. You can eliminate it y clicking on the box along the edge and then use Select>same>fill and it should select all the clear spots and then just delete them. The other option is use the cut by color bottons in SCALP and just cut the black

• Like 1

In your tracing options there is a box that will tell the program to ignore white. That's the one you want checked for simple traces and I would suggest saving the setting as something you will recognize like "Ignore White" then you can use it next time too. 

• Like 2

Thanks, Wildgoose. I was about to write to say, this didn't make any sense, that there is only one path in my Illustrator-based image-traced file.

BUT, I decied to trace it again, and I found the "Ignore White" box and checked it, and lo and behold it worked. Still doesn't makes sense, but at least now I can cut crisp fonts instead of the laughable renderings the SCAL image trace has given me. 

I can't believe none of the tutorial showing how to create SVG files for SCAL, or any other cutter software, that I've seen do not mention this. Unbelievable. It's almost as though people are trying to keep what they've learned secret.

THANK YOU!

• Like 2

SCALP is definitely a different breed of program. As for Illustrator it is just giving you the result that you tell it. For example if the inside color was green instead of white and your base color red you might expect it to have green and red. AI doesn't assume that the white is a blank space automatically, thus the box to ignore white if it is supposed to be nothing. 

I only trace fonts as a last choice. You are best to figure out the font and re-type it to get clear crisp text. 

• Like 1

I finally had a chance to use this ignore white option and it worked perfect...Thanks again

• Like 1