Sign in to follow this  
frizz6907

SCAL overlapping images

I'm trying to get the background pattern to come through the owl. I'm using SCAL 3 pro. Normally I would select both images and "front minus back", but for whatever reason, it's not working. The background is a googled image I placed on the page and the owl is a traced image.

I also have Inkscape and Photoshop CS6. I am VERY unfamiliar with both of those.

My ultimate goal is to use the design for DTG with Chromablast, which I've never done either.

Thanks!

post-86813-0-34875100-1420587038_thumb.j

Is this what you are trying to accomplish? Get the pattern to come thru in the owl?

post-36365-0-22421700-1420590809_thumb.g

Yes!!! Normally I have no problem doing it in SCAL, but for whatever reason I can't get it to work with a placed image instead of a traced image.

First off the image would probably need to be vectorized, but even so, when you cut, the only color it will be is the color of your vinyl as unless your are using a printer/cutter this won't work for you. I did it in corel.

Donn

I'm going to print it. I got a RIcoh printer and Chromablast for Christmas and I'm trying to get it all figured out. I've never done it before and this design is something a customer wants.

Only thing I would know to do would be to print the pattern on a piece of vinyl and then insert it into the cutter and cut the owl pattern out of it, but that's because I'm not real up on all of the programs. Otherwise post both the owl and the pattern and I will make the file for you and repost it.

Donn

For whatever reason, I'm not able to attach the images now. UGH! This has been so frustrating. Thank you for helping. I'll try again in a little bit.

In SCAL I'm normally able to do this when I'm using 2 traced images. I'm assuming my problem is arising because the background pattern isn't traced.

Anyone explain how to do it in Photoshop, keeping in mind I'm totally new at using it?

In Photoshop;

Put your background layer over top of your owl layer.
Select the Background (top) layer & mover cursor to a position between the two layers.
Hold down 'ALT' (Option on Mac) and left click

This will make a clipping mask out of it.

Save to a suitable print format.

(edit: these instructions are assuming you have the owl layer 'cut out', without a background.)

Ok, so I did the clipping mask thing. It didn't work. I can make it work with text but it won't work with the owl. Is there a certain type of format it has to be in?

I typed in some text and it worked perfectly, so I have the steps down. I just don't know why the owl won't work.

You can try selecting the white of the owl (magic wand is one way) and then the same procedure I listed above.

While you've got it selected I would 'control J' and create a new layer from the selection.

Just make sure the background is above the owl layer you are trying to clip to.

You can shift-click on the thumbnail of the owl in the layers pallet and see if it is selecting just the owl

outline or if there is a background on it as well. If the owl layer was a jpg that you imported into Ps it

has a background that must get removed or at least ignored for the clipping to work.