Sign in to follow this  
PhaedrusZen

Blade Life

I read up on some old threads and it seems like most people are able to get 9 months to a year out of their blades. I've just changed blades out for the third time, since I've started cutting, with this last blade lasting just over a month and having cut around 400 yards. (The first two were fairly similar.)

I'm using Roland 45 degree blades on Oracal 631, with only two colors being metallic (gold and silver, and not cutting much of either). My pressure hasn't gone over 100 g.

Is there something I might be doing wrong or that can increase blade longevity, or does this sound about right for cutting 400 yards of material? I've also seen discussion about different blade brands, and was wondering if anyone has had recent experiences worth mentioning. Not sure if I want to shell out for the deluxe blades or try out a batch of Chinese cheapos...? 

Cheers! 

the ones you read about like me getting 10 months + are using cleancut blades - a premium tight grained carbide.  with the cheaper blades you will change them a LOT.  if you go to most of the other sites like 101, t-shirtforum, VF, all the old timers use cleancuts for longevity and not having to mess with the blades so much

• Like 1

If you are selling that much vinyl, then a little extra $ on some quality blades shouldn't be a big deal. You'll be glad you did.

• Like 3