OWJones

App tape for static cling vinyl?

I bought a narrow roll of white static cling vinyl and thought I might cut some snowflakes and other Christmas designs.  Last year I cut several large snowflakes that were each one piece and applied them to a window at work and since they were each one piece, I didn't worry about tape - just peeled and stuck them on.

I'd like to do something a little fancier this year, but would rather not have to place each piece individually.  Does anyone have any experience with an application tape that will pick static cling vinyl off it's backing, but release when applied to glass?

I would think if they make a static cling vinyl they would have a special app tape for that material, just like they have a special kinds for 631. I would also like to know where you got the static cling vinyl?

I would think if they make a static cling vinyl they would have a special app tape for that material, just like they have a special kinds for 631. I would also like to know where you got the static cling vinyl?

I sell quite a bit of small lots of clear static cling (sheets and short rolls) and it is usually used to apply other graphics to then adhere so it can be added and removed without adhesive - what Jones is doing is very cool idea but I don't think that is what they intended it for so finding a application tape that holds the cling and has an adhesive low enough to allow the cling to be released (meaning the cling has to have a better hold on the window than the app tape has on the cling) might be a tough one as the cling by nature has a very minimal hold on the window.

• Like 1

I use clear static cling vinyl and put my regular vinyl on that.

An old trick I use when masking off cars for paint is take the tape and stick it to my pants or shirt a couple times and it will make the glue not as tacky so you can easily peel it after the fact. Could you possibly do that with a low tack transfer paper and still have it be just sticky enough to lift the static off the backing paper but not to sticky to keep it on during applications?

• Like 2

where do you buy this static cling vinyl?

I got mine from this guy on the big auction site.   If you want to buy more than one thing from him, add all the items to your cart, agree to purchase and then ask for an invoice - he'll bring the S&H down to a more reasonable amount.

He sells a lot of narrow rolls (some very narrow rolls) but it's almost all good quality, name brand materials.   I've bought a few rolls of reflective and etched/frosted glass vinyls and they were all excellent (the etched/frosted were 3M, I don't remember the brand on the reflective, but some of it's been on my truck for over a year with no signs of wear.

• Like 2