Sign in to follow this  
Guest gracewriter

How do you organize your graphics?

I suggest The Font Thing to everyone that have more that 200 fonts.

Most of it is undocumented and you will have to use it a bit to understand it.

So far, I have found nothing font related that it can't do.

only 200 fonts???  LOL  .... sorry didnt mean to laugh, just decided to open my font folder to check the count  - 12983 not including the 3 CDs of fonts I havent loaded onto the computer yet.

Wonder if there's a Fontaholics Anonymous support group out there anywhere.

only 200 fonts???  LOL  .... sorry didnt mean to laugh, just decided to open my font folder to check the count  - 12983 not including the 3 CDs of fonts I havent loaded onto the computer yet.

If there us I need to join!!!

What???

I think that is unnsecessary. I bet you have a hard time deciding on what font to use, and that it take you at least 3 days to get to the bottom of the list!

WOW

Joe

I got more images then I know what to do with.  I currently have a external drive that I keep them all on.  I try to keep everyone categorized but even that gets confusing.  Its a ton or work to keep it up but it definitaly comes in handy when I need to find something. 

I use ST Thumbnail Explorer to view all the files but you can't print from it.  If there was a program that you could view all the graphic file types and be able to print, then that would go over very well.

Let hear some more details on what you are planning to incorporate in this program?  Or did I miss it some where.

I would be interested in a program that would rename a group of files automatically.  For instance taking several folders that may have files with the same name and copy/rename them into a given sequence into one folder.

What???

I think that is unnsecessary. I bet you have a hard time deciding on what font to use, and that it take you at least 3 days to get to the bottom of the list!

WOW

Joe

Joe - sometimes it's necessary to have more than needed ... I also do business cards, postcards, stationary, type portfolios for fellow racers, neon sign tubing layouts, logo re-creation/duplication (right there's enough reason to have a ton of fonts - seems every business has their own font choice & you have to match it because they dont know the name of it LOL), plus the racers always seem to want something funky and unique. Sometimes a pain if they want EXACTLY the same font, then you are comparing the lil tails and bends of different letters.

Guest fivestar

I've got over 50,000 on a DVD and 36,000 in a folder on my desktop, GOD only knows how many others scattered thoughout my machine.

Guest Terry

Are you saying you have 12983 fonts INSTALLED, how does your computer run LOL :P

Guest gracewriter

Tykite,

whatever you do, you should turn it into a business and market it on all the forums.  Updates are inevitable, as always later down the road you'll find better ways of doing things you didn't think of when you wrote the program, include a monthly newsletter with helpful info.

Besides, if you offer updates, you have a client list you can market future things you want to do, like perhaps other types of software you'd like to write, or gizmos or whatever, or plug your site, etc.  You have a pretty large market besides signmakers, graphic artists, web designers, etc.  If you pull those people into your website they might start buying your vinyl stuff too.  I've always been a firm believer in diversification and that's exactly what I'm planning on with my new cutter.

Or if you want to keep things simple, just write a one time thing.

I think it really depends on what YOU want.

I'm looking into what all I'll have to do:

1. What kind of files do you think it should support?

2. Should it be something that I keep updated or a one time thing?

3. What do you think it should do?

It would be nice if it could read eps,ai,sbe and all the popular files. I would love to be able to print from it also to make a catalog.

I've got over 50,000 on a DVD and 36,000 in a folder on my desktop, GOD only knows how many others scattered thoughout my machine.

You sir are a true fontaholic - please proceed to the nearest FA headquaters immediately for typography de-briefing LOL  (I'm at around the 35K mark with what on the computer and whats on the CDs - LOL so I'll be sitting right there next to ya at the meeting)

Are you saying you have 12983 fonts INSTALLED, how does your computer run LOL :P

No, only about 4000 of the 12K are in the actual c:/Windows/fonts folder .. I have a folder on desktop labeled FONTS that houses the whole 12983 ...  Only time system really slows down much is when I've got Flexi, Photoshop, CorelX3, and one of the MS Office apps all running same time - then it only seems to slow down Photoshop to a noticable point, once in awhile Flexi will hiccup and take a few more seconds when changing a font. I'll probably go back to the standard grouping of default fonts in the c:/windows/fonts folder once I figure out how to re-direct all programs that would access that folder to access the desktop fonts folder instead.

If I were creating a wish list it should:

1) gather all graphic type files including .eps, .ai, .psp, .jpe, .gif, .php and anything else people can think of.

2) save them all in a designated file location

3) the ability to organize and rename file groups

4) have the ability to print a catalog with file names

that's only if I were creating a wish list  :P

Guest Terry

Hey whipper snapper, (tykite) ya in over your head?:P LMAO just kidding you'll do fine. How many years ya got left in school?

If I were creating a wish list it should:

1) gather all graphic type files including .eps, .ai, .psp, .jpe, .gif, .php and anything else people can think of.

2) save them all in a designated file location

3) the ability to organize and rename file groups

4) have the ability to print a catalog with file names

that's only if I were creating a wish list  :P

Catagories would be great :P - tribals, flames, stripes, animals, etc ....

ability to pick and choose the ones you want to print out

Tykite

I want it to let categorize my graphics, let me preview them, help me store my groceries, wash my car and feed the dog...

Hey what I really want to say is that it is you who should choose and work based on what you think you are able to do. If you keep asking then you will have to make the program able to vectorize and trace images, unzip files, work as a cutting software and run system checks.

What can you really do OR what are you willing to do? It will be good anyways. After all the common request it a software to store, categorize and previe files.

I dont know, just my 2 cents.

Joe

Guest gracewriter

Woe!  Been gone the whole week and was glad to see so many posts here.  I haven't been able to read them all but..

This is probably been mentioned or a no brainer and you'll already do it.  But it sure would be nice to be able to assign some of my own catagories and Cross reference.