Sign in to follow this  
efimage

Bad designs, acute angles and vinyl lifting.

I had to convert some bitmaps to vectors the other day and 2 of them had a lot of very sharp angles which caused some lifting.  I ended up editing most of the nodes and everything ran fine. 

Being fairly new to cutting I was wondering if you guys have come across a design and decided it was not even worth fixing or would have been way too much time.   Are there some angles you see in wire frame mode and know right off the bat that it needs to be edited?

I never have a problem with sharp angles,  usually vinyl lifting is too much blade exposed, or too much speed.

• Like 1

Blade is set correctly I am running a Clean Cut 60 degree. No problems cutting so far. I might have been running a little fast at 15cm/s for this job.   I attached an example of the problem area. I had to go into the vector and round off all the tips to get it not to lift. The final product looked the same after the editing.

post-86774-0-84797500-1409148766_thumb.j

Yes, you have to change speed for different jobs, that are more detailed.  I slow down also for very small text...

I think it has also been said by users who have used both a Roland and a Graphtec that the Graphtec is much better with very detailed designs.

I have never used a Roland,, but I know my Graphtec does great with very detailed designs.

I don't use a Clean Cut blade, never have.  

One thing to consider is those points will tend to lift when installed due to the minimal surface area.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Jaybird.  I did not even consider the installation side of it for these decals because they were ready to apply that but makes total sense. The decals where pretty small and detailed 4x5 inch total.  I questioned there design to begin with because it looked really bad but that’s what they wanted.  

Thanks for the tip Jaybird.  I did not even consider the installation side of it for these decals because they were ready to apply that but makes total sense. The decals where pretty small and detailed 4x5 inch total.  I questioned there design to begin with because it looked really bad but that’s what they wanted.  

Sometimes you have to say NO to what the customer "Wants".

YOU are supposed to be the expert.

Inevitably, if those teeny rays don't stick well, you or your materials 

will be blamed first. 

I guess this is good place for a written warning that the

customer has to acknowledge.

Sue2