Sign in to follow this  
Marie925

Very off Topic - I need some Trimble/GIS Help

Not sure if anyone here would know about this, but I did see some people saying they have GIS experience. 

I am working on stormwater inventory project. 

I am familar with surveying, but the equipment we purchased and software is new to me. For the most part I am picking it all up but as with the first time doing anything, there are snags. 

We are using a Trimble handheld loaded with Terrasync, Pathfinder Office for post processing, and then back to ArcGIS for the client. 

Our client has a very specific file Geodatabase Schema setup for us to use. I imported that to Pathfinder Office to create my data dictionary. Some of the Attribute Fields changed type from like double (in ArcGIS) to menu fields (since they had domains associated with them). Now when I go to export back to ArcGIS I can't load my shapefiles to my file geodatabase because the attribute fields don't match up. "The value type is incompatible with the field type"

Since there are no exact matches for field types between the Trimble software and the ArcGIS, I am not sure what my options are. I  know I can create a new attribute field of the correct type and migrate the entries over, but I need a better long term solution than that.

I have a web session setup with the company that I purchased the equipement and software though on Monday afternoon so that should help me figure it out, I just thought I would take a shot and see if anyone here any experience with this sort of workflow.

Thanks,

Marie

if they can't figure it out I am sure ESRI tech support can help - GIS software will humble the most arrogant individual in a heartbeat.  I am sure it has gotten some easier in the past 10 years but it is a tough high learning curve.

Well I had an option between the Trimble software and the ESRI software for the handheld unit. Either TerraSync or ArcPad. My company left it up to me to pick the software and equipment pretty much. I chose TerraSync - the Trimble software because it is a more user friendly and straight forward software for my field guys who have zero GIS experience. I was told that there would be no issue with it migrating back to the ArcGIS File Geodatabase. I am seriously starting to worry that what I was told is not actually true, I will hold off judgement until I know for sure. 

Hmmmm. At my day job we run Topcon gps systems in the field and have the parent software AGTEK Earthwork for 3D modeling in the office. When we run into file transfer issues we just send them off to the techies at AGTEK and they evidently have a copy of just about any other software out there because they will convert them to whatever file format we need and send them right back within a few hours. This is a paid service that we keep going every year for the business but I believe it was included in the original purchase price for the first year. You might check and see if Trimble can do something similar for you. I have used a Trimble gps system a few times but all of my experience with both of these are related to machine controls systems rather than GIS. 

• Like 1

Ah so you run equipment via GPS for grading and such? I have not seen this in person, but I think it sounds awesome!

I had an online session with Duncan Parnell yesterday which is who sold me the Trimble unit and software. She eventually said it was an ESRI (ArcGIS issue). Basically we have narrowed it down to blank entries get exported as spaces instead of null entries which ArcGIS is not accepting. To me this seems like an issue on the export side of things, but she is claiming it is on the ArcGIS import side. I don't know.... I am planning a call with ESRI today. If I can just get these issues ironed out I can get rolling. 

I feel like instead of support I am getting finger pointing between software companies. 

Marie

ESRI Support staff was much more helpful. I don't have an answer yet. It might just have to involve a work around, but atleast they were willing to help me with a work around instead of pointing fingers. 

Marie

• Like 1

I know esri support was top notch for anything we ever called on.  we did some cogo work once and the plat ended up in Kansas instead of Michigan - 10 min and they had us fixed right up

• Like 1