Sign in to follow this  
mxracer394

Quick bubbles question

I have always had trouble with racecar decals having bubbles. Most have always been multi layered but the other day I did a simple single lay decal and it had bubbles. I don't apply them wet seems to turn out worse for me. I use mostly greenstar vinyl and app tape. Majority of the time I have to use two passes of app tape due to buying 12" tape and doing 21x33" numbers. Is haveing to make two passes with the app tape cause the bubbles?

Get some better quality vinyl, and correct size application tape, and see how quick the bubble problems go away.

• Like 2

Anytime I have overlapped transfer tape I have always had bubbles. I have not heard anything good about the green star vinyl but I have never used it myself so I would take these guys words for it and go with a better vinyl.

When you separate the tape and vinyl from the backing, don't lift the tape away from the backing, flip it over and lift the backing away from the tape.  When you pull the tape up, it can stretch the vinyl and lead to bubbles showing up.

It sounds silly, but it works for me.

Also, if you're getting bubbles during a wet installation, you're doing it wrong.   The whole point of a wet installation is to slow down the setting of the adhesive so you have to work any bubbles or wrinkles out and even move things around if you're alignment is off.

• Like 1

Where app tape overlaps you usually get a row of bubbles