Sign in to follow this  
haumana

HD TiVO w/Lifetime Subscription

I don't know if many of you here are TiVO or DVR fans, but if you are I wanted to get your opinions.

So I was super envious of my family members that got in the ground floor when TiVO original offered that (what I thought was insanely expensive) lifetime subscription. Well, after concluding that I really wouldn't mind having a TiVO for myself - they stopped offering that the lifetime and only offered the monthly (sigh). I know that cable/satellite companies now offer DVR services, but I really don't want to pay an extra montly fee on top of the service.

I was actually considering buying one off of eBay. Well, TiVO is now offering another lifetime subscription deal. Here's the details:

For a limited time, get the best high-definition experience with dual high-definition tuners, massive capacity, plus TiVo

Well I've never had Tivo....infact I only got DVR a few months back.  I guess it really depends on how badly you want it.  We have satellite internet and we had to buy the equipment, that ran about 600.00! OUCH...would I do it again...NO!  The reason I did it was because dial up is SOOO slow.  But now with satellite I have 4 computers hooked to the internet...so it was really to my benefit to get it.  But now that's not really answering your question is it??  ;D  I have XM Radio and my family thinks I'm crazy to pay a monthly charge for that, but to be honest I don't think I'd go without it unless I can't afford it anymore  B)  Hey I have to hear my 80's music.

I say if it's something you really want and can afford to do it and it will make you happy....DO IT!!

You know I was thinking...but I pay close to 70.00/mth on basic satellite tv service that's 840/year!!  B)

Guest fivestar

For 700.00 you could build you an awesome PC with a TV tuner card in it and there you have you a DVR plus a really nice computer.  Well I guess I am a computer nerd but that's what I got.  B)

My HD TV has a DVR built in to it. I know, its odd, but it's in there. It's made by LG, my brother has Dish Network? and has the DVR/Tuner box, he said he likes the UI better on my TV DVR. OK? I love acronymszzz!!!!

I have a TIVO -- have had TIVO for about 10 years and can't image TV without it! I absolutely love it. And the lifetime is the only way to go!!

I had no idea that Direct TV was offering TIVO again -- if that is the case jump on it as that is the best of both worlds.

I've got DVR through cable. It was great until they replaced the operating system with Microsoft. Now it doesn't work hardly at all. Typical MS.

You only have 1TB -- damn I have 3 and I am running out of space -- this is all hooked up to my HTPC used as a movie server -- I have over 500 movies pumped through an Optoma HD projector to a 108" diagonal screen and a 7.1 surround system.  Movies are fantastic in our own theater!!!!

We don't go out to the movies anymore.    ;D

What is HTPC? Is it a Home Theatre PC? What software does it use. I just got a copy of Vista Ultimate but no PC to use it on yet. Tell me more about HTPC.

HTPC - correct - home theater PC -- any PC with a fast processor - lots of memory -- a high end video card -- usually a TV card and HUGE hard drives!!!!

My system has an Intel Core 2 Quad Core 3.0 Ghz processor with 3Gb of RAM -- and 3.5Tb or disc space.

I am using Vista Home Premium with the Windows Media Center for movie playback in HD.

I burn all my movies to the hard drives so I can sit back and select the movie I want to watch and never have to touch a disc.

Normally I hate Vista, but I only use it for movie playback so I can put up with it.

One of my IT buddies at work was invited to the Vista roll out. He got a free copy of Vista Ultimate that he gave to me. Where do you get a 3.5tb hdd and how much does one run? I have pretty much everything else. We run a high end CAD system where I work so they surplus pretty good PC's. I got a 3ghz p4 ht with 2 gb ram for free. has a 256 meg 3d graphics card. Just need the big hdd now.

The PC has 640Gb (2 - 320's) then I have a Buffalo Tera Station NAS with 2Tb (5 - 500Gb drives) and then I bought 2 500Gb USB drives.

I will probably upgrade the 2 USB drives to 1Tb each soon and then see where I go from there -- I may get another Buffalo NAS -- those things work great!

The really nice part is I can watch movies from anywhere on my network! I have 6 computers connected at this time and I can have movies running on 2 of them at one time without bogging down the system.

The next step is to upgrade the network to a gigabyte system. Then I can stream movies to all 6 if I want!!!

Unfortunately the TiVO isn't packaged with any cable subscription (I wish). It's for TiVO only and I would need to get a cable card from my local cable guys if I wanted to use the TiVO as the tuner too. TiVO's website says "Does not support satellite service". Which I guess means that if I subscribe to Dish or Direct TV, then the TiVO is useless as a tuner, but I'm guessing that I can still use the DVR side, right?

I dunno, setting up a HTPC would be great, but I don't think I could realistically put one together for under $700 here. Getting stuff shipped here is a huge expense and difficult to get stuff here for a reasonable price.  :-

If your budget is only $700.00 yer not gonna touch a system like this -- I have about $4000.00 invested so far.

I would check with your cable or satellite supplier -- most have a usable DVR service available -- I wouldn't get the TIVO till you know what you are dealing with.

That's what I figured. When I finally decided that I wanted a TiVO, lifetime subscriptions were a thing of the past, so I got really excited when I saw that they were offering it again ... albeit in a really expensive package  ;D .

Guest fivestar

If your budget is only $700.00 yer not gonna touch a system like this -- I have about $4000.00 invested so far.

$4000.00?  WTF is it made with? 

This system here would be more then enough for a HTPC

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

LG 20X DVD

My system price includes a Optoma HD projector, 120" screen, 2Tb Buffalo NAS, 2-500GB USB Drives, Sony surround sound amp with Polk audio speaker system, and the HTPC.

I agree the PC it's self is not that expensive -- it's everything else to build a true home theater that costs the big bucks.

Lets be honest -- what is the use of having an HTPC if you are pushing it through a 19" display!

Ah ... so many things to consider.

Five - How much would the processor alone run for that setup? or maybe the questions I should be asking is what would be the most minimal processor can be used?

I would love to have a quad core. But for now, I'll settle for the duo in my monster box ... since the most heavy stuff I usually do is website ... which don't require a whole lot of anything besides time and patience.  ;D

Guest fivestar

My system price includes a Optoma HD projector, 120" screen, 2Tb Buffalo NAS, 2-500GB USB Drives, Sony surround sound amp with Polk audio speaker system, and the HTPC.

I agree the PC it's self is not that expensive -- it's everything else to build a true home theater that costs the big bucks.

Lets be honest -- what is the use of having an HTPC if you are pushing it through a 19" display!

He "must" already have the rest of the stuff if he is looking for a tivo only, I am assuming (yeah I know what that does ;D )

Ah ... so many things to consider.

Five - How much would the processor alone run for that setup? or maybe the questions I should be asking is what would be the most minimal processor can be used?

I would love to have a quad core. But for now, I'll settle for the duo in my monster box ... since the most heavy stuff I usually do is website ... which don't require a whole lot of anything besides time and patience.  ;D

That particular processor is a AMD 4000 x2 socket AM2 which your current system would have to be.  Go to www.newegg.com and check out the processors for whichever socket pc you currently have.  Processors are cheap right now, well unless you go quad core.  :P

He "must" already have the rest of the stuff if he is looking for a tivo only, I am assuming (yeah I know what that does ;D )

I thought that too, but some of his questions led me to believe he was looking for a full system -- sorry if I misunderstood.

I will add that if you have the room for it a projector is the only way to fly. I use it for my main TV and all movie watching. They can be expensive as if you watch a lot of movies and TV (as we do) you will need to replace the lamp every 2 to 3 years (about $300 to $500). Once you have tried it you can never go back to a smaller TV -- I have a 50" rear projection in the master bedroom and it seems small.

Actually I do have a projector. I just don't have a screen big enough  ;D, not to mention that my current house has unpainted mahogany walls. I hung a bed sheet up as a screen a couple of times, but it really hindered the cross ventilation in the house, so I opted for a 60" pull down screen. The screen is too small and I end up having to push the projector close.

The new house has t'n'g walls, but at least it's paint arctic white so I'll see what kind of shadows the ridges in the wall create.

Projectors are the bomb. I wanted it to be relatively portable, so I have everything on a wheeled cart: projector, UPS, decent speakers with sub-woofer. It's all ready to go  ;D