Sign in to follow this  
sluggo2u

Logo work

Here's a logo I did for a friend who's a photographer.

He had a pretty vague idea what he wanted. An iris, an A,  Albarran Studios, Films, and Photography all needed to be included and it needed to fit the left chest of a shirt.

So, I drew up the one on the far left first. He liked it but was not a fan of the A that I chose. Middle top is the second go. Took him a couple minutes to figure out it was a tripod so that was a fail. Right top was the third iteration. This was the result of him sketching up the "A" that he had in mind. Once it was done he did not like like it. The bottom one is what I determined he wanted after sitting him down and looking through fonts. Everything he liked was asymmetrical and had serifs.

He loves the fourth version and ordered  8 shirts and 20 decals. 10 of the decals and the front chest logos for the shirts are 3.5 inch in diameter making the text around the rim of the lens pretty small. Nothing the Summa can't handle but man does it suck to weed!

Lesson learned:

Asymmetrical fonts less than a half inch in height are a pain in the arse.

I respect the opinions of everybody here. I'd like to hear what you think of this design, good or bad. It's one color. Anything that is not black is knocked out of the design.

alba001.png

I would try to use a bold sans serf font like Verdana for the text around the lens. For the breast/pocket logo it may be too illegible in a serf font.

Maybe cut and weed one and stick it to an extra tee for him to approve/disapprove. This will at least let you know how hard the letters will be to weed.

Nice logos. Very clean and fitting if the subject.

I liked the second one and caught the tripod right off if it makes you feel any better.  B) (although it almost looks like a sexy pair for legs for some reason too, maybe I'm just perverted)

Clients are fickle, that's for sure. I have done several logos and a couple were slam bam I like that one and then one was back and forth for weeks. Funny thing is the one I spent so much time on ended up being one of my most loyal customers and orders shirts and vinyl all the time. Well worth the effort. 

I hear you on weeding fine letters. If the design color is staying black you could do transfers on shirts with lighter colors and save a bundle of time. Don't know if you do those or not but in certain circumstances they rule the roost. You should be able to get 3 or maybe 4 per regular sized sheet. Easy to hand trim around a circle. I would do one for him as a freebie with some JPSS on a white or light colored shirt and see if he likes it. 

I would try to use a bold sans serf font like Verdana for the text around the lens. For the breast/pocket logo it may be too illegible in a serf font.

Maybe cut and weed one and stick it to an extra tee for him to approve/disapprove. This will at least let you know how hard the letters will be to weed.

Nice logos. Very clean and fitting if the subject.

Actually, we did have that talk and I did do one shirt for approval. The weeding is not too bad on htv but is pretty time consuming on 751. I have already told him the smaller bits on the 3.5 inch decals may not adhere too well. He want's to proceed. I think what he was looking for was for the iris and the A to be instantly recognizable. 

Did the logo white on a black shirt with Siser glow in the dark. I was surprised how well it reads. Granted, you have to be pretty close to read it but it looks good. 

I liked the second one and caught the tripod right off if it makes you feel any better.  B) (although it almost looks like a sexy pair for legs for some reason too, maybe I'm just perverted)

Clients are fickle, that's for sure. I have done several logos and a couple were slam bam I like that one and then one was back and forth for weeks. Funny thing is the one I spent so much time on ended up being one of my most loyal customers and orders shirts and vinyl all the time. Well worth the effort. 

I hear you on weeding fine letters. If the design color is staying black you could do transfers on shirts with lighter colors and save a bundle of time. Don't know if you do those or not but in certain circumstances they rule the roost. You should be able to get 3 or maybe 4 per regular sized sheet. Easy to hand trim around a circle. I would do one for him as a freebie with some JPSS on a white or light colored shirt and see if he likes it. 

I think the second one would be my favorite if not for the S and the shape at the top of the A to contain the S. I have 13x19 JPSS and 3G opaque but he wants glow in the dark on black, charcoal and military green shirts. If I could have got him to go with white shirts, JPSS would have been the ticket and contour cutting it on the Summa would be a breeze.

I think the second one would be my favorite if not for the S and the shape at the top of the A to contain the S. I have 13x19 JPSS and 3G opaque but he wants glow in the dark on black, charcoal and military green shirts. If I could have got him to go with white shirts, JPSS would have been the ticket and contour cutting it on the Summa would be a breeze.

Could you put a camera on top of the tripod and the "S" in the triangle below?

Could you put a camera on top of the tripod and the "S" in the triangle below?

Yes. He has no interest in that iteration so I can't see putting any more effort in that direction. Next time I'm tasked to do a logo I'll start simple and go from there. I could have saved a lot of headache using a font similar impact.