Sign in to follow this  
lenoreerickson

Looking at US Cutter... need a new plotter

so I'm looking at buying a us cutter plotter, have been against it in the past, I have a roland, but it's seen it's better days, and checking on line, I can't believe these prices... for those who have gone both ways, us cutter and other brands, any thoughts?  Also I have used Flexi sign, 7.0 older version and I've been reading up on Sure Cuts A lot, for the package deal the machine and the software, any thoughts here too?  Thanks in advance... from reading things, it all seems ok, but I just thought I'd ask... I'd like both benefits and disadvantages that you have experienced, especially if you have something to compare it to.   Thanks much!

Tracking is a big deal and the lower budget cutters don't. Middle of the road do a little better I think but still have stepper motors which are also less desirable. Puts you right back up to spending more to get what you really want. If you are making money with it or a hobby can help in the decision. I had a P-Cut which I think may be discontinued now which was a few steps off the bottom. I "got by" with it for a couple years but now have a high end cutter and wouldn't want to go back. I even sold my old one that I was originally going to keep around as a back-up. 

After the Roland anything less than a Roland or graphtec just won't be as nice cutting. The titan2 does a nice job for a little less money. You also won't like gong from any version of flexi pro to a hobby software, but you may still be able to use it with the new cutter. Depending on which one you get

• Like 1

I started with an MH871 and quickly upgraded to a Copam only to find out the Copam, while it was a better machine was still not up to the task. I recently purchased a new cutter. I looked at Rolands, Graphtec and Summa. I went with the Summa D75R.

It's fabulous. The software that comes with it (winplot) is amazingly simple and does precisely what it's supposed to do. Contour cuts are simple using the opos.

I use Illustrator for all my design work and really only need a plotting interface. I was considering upgrading from SCALP to Flexi but no longer see a need for it. I've used SCALP, Sign-Cut, and tried Vinyl Master. 

I started with an MH871 and quickly upgraded to a Copam only to find out the Copam, while it was a better machine was still not up to the task. I recently purchased a new cutter. I looked at Rolands, Graphtec and Summa. I went with the Summa D75R.

It's fabulous. The software that comes with it (winplot) is amazingly simple and does precisely what it's supposed to do. Contour cuts are simple using the opos.

I use Illustrator for all my design work and really only need a plotting interface. I was considering upgrading from SCALP to Flexi but no longer see a need for it. I've used SCALP, Sign-Cut, and tried Vinyl Master. 

I ended up using signcut on my D75r. I have used it for so long that I wanted the cutting utilities and weeding tools that I am used to using. They revamped the drivers for me because there were issues with the contour cut options (not that I currently use them only rarely).