tooler82

Adobe To Corel

I've grown up doing graphics forever in Adobe Photoshop. I've fiddle with Corel a little. My question is this: Is it hard to switch from Photoshop to Corel? As most of you know, I work for the government. With Adobe now charging a monthly subscription, the governement doesn't like paying like that. I can talk them into buying Corel since it's a 1 time purchase. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

if you've been working with adobe for a long time you are probably going to hate corel.

Corel is not a bad program but many who use adobe alot find corel very frustrating and vice versa.

why don't you get the free counterparts to adobe?

photoshop - Gimp

illustrator - Inkscape

or you can just purchase cs5 instead of the monthly subscription.

most of us on here don't use the newest adobe software, the older stuff still works great!!

I know I'm using CS2 and CS3

on another note, that monthly subscription is basically equal to upgrading Adobe every year. roughly $600/yr.

so if you need to have updated software the subscription might be the best option anyways.

It would be great getting updates, but the government doesn't like paying for a monthly subscription to come out of their credit card. They usually like 1 time purchases. I'll have to see if I can find somewhere online they can trust to buy CS5 from I guess.

I am with you on the cloud based stuff. pisses me off. I am running CS5 and I think you can get CS6 with a disc too. They aren't that much for Illustrator on a stand alone basis. The whole suite is pretty pricey. You might try the free trial of Corel. I did and decided I didn't like the way they go about things. I do think you can buy a year at a time but again, with the government you might find yourself SOL at renewal time. 

I know it sucks lol. I'll probably email Adobe and tell them the situation. Never know, they may have a government package.

People I speak with say going to Corel Photo-paint from Adobe Photoshop is a challenge.  Photoshop has a ton of plugins and extra's available.  It is used by many, so documentation, tutorials and forums are abundant.  The prevailing wind is that it is more advanced.  There is also the industry standard thing.  Much depends on what your doing.  Photopaint opens much quicker than Paintshop.  For simple tasks I prefer it.  I work with vectors mostly so I don't have a need to created complex raster images. However I think you would be able to do most of your tasks with either tool.

But you say switching from Photoshop to Corel.  If you are meaning going from Photoshop to Corel Draw that is another story.  It would be like going from Photoshop to Illustrator.  Raster graphics users sometimes take awhile to adjust to a vector graphics environment.  For example, layers are often utilized differently, and objects can have their own hierarchy that works much like a layer.  I find Corel Draw superior to Illustrator, especially for my type of daily work.

Don't frown!  You could be getting a chance to lean a brand new tool for free.  Always great to learn new skills.

• Like 1

Photoshop, to Corel Paint Shop Pro isn't that hard, so I've heard. I'm a Corel guy, so don't have that much experience with PS. Plus, they are making more custom stuff now for paint shop pro, brushes, and plugins, etc.