smendlik

Quote to do storefront - Not sure how to price it

I did research here before posting and still don't know how to price it.  I know how much materials will cost me, I just don't know how much to charge over that; profit, installation, removal of old vinyl on doors, etc...

I'll be doing their logo on 7 windows, the logo will be two colors but single layered, size is 24" x 24".  Then there will be a text on each of the 7 windows and their door.  

Can I just take the material cost and multiply it by some factor, estimate my install time and use that for the price?  It should be a simple install.  Pretty simple design and no layering.  I plan on giving them a price for Oracal 651 & 751 to let them choose how much quality they want to pay for.  What's a fair price per hour for old decal removal / installation of the new decals?

I'm not sure what other information I can give you to help me with a price, if you need to know anything else let me know.

Thank you!!

Proof Copy.pdf

QUOTE> "I'm not sure what other information I can give you to help me with a price, if you need to know anything else let me know."

Yes... how long will it take you to do the project and how much per hour do you normally get for this type work?

Now do you see why you are having a problem setting a price to the work?

Many of us could approximate how long it would take us to do the work.

Many know our costs, overhead, and profit expectations.

We study the project details and add up the time & materials.

Yours are gonna differ. Each project is going to differ.

With the experience of doing the work comes the confidence to properly bid the work.

We cant give that to you. You have to earn it.

Sorry, don't mean to be coarse... just giving you the facts.

• Like 1

Everyone is going to be different on pricing. One specific price doesn't fit all.

I'd charge around $7/sq.ft. for the vinyl, using 651. Figure out in your head how long you think the installation will take and double it. Everything seems to take longer than one thinks. Decide how much your time is worth, $30,$40,$50,$60 an hour. I'd recommend giving them a quote on the low side and use this as a learning experience.

Everyone is going to be different on pricing. One specific price doesn't fit all.

I'd charge around $7/sq.ft. for the vinyl, using 651. Figure out in your head how long you think the installation will take and double it. Everything seems to take longer than one thinks. Decide how much your time is worth, $30,$40,$50,$60 an hour. I'd recommend giving them a quote on the low side and use this as a learning experience.

Thanks for some constructive advice instead of just telling me everybody differs on pricing so I have to figure it out for myself.  I wasn't looking for an answer of charge them $xxx amount, I am looking for guidance on how to figure it out (what process people with experience use) and some ballpark figures (like your $7/sq. ft for 651).  

I laughed at your estimate the time and double it comment as we use that at work for projects all the time.  We always say to take your time estimate, double, then add 10%.  It sounds ridiculous but it's generally more accurate than the original estimate.

QUOTE> "I am looking for guidance on how to figure it out"

... and I answered you with  "How long will it take you to do the project and how much per hour do you normally get for this type work?"

THAT (plus actual materials, markup, and profit margin)  would be (near) exactly what your estimate should be.

• Like 1

Cost of goods + Fixed Cost + Variable Cost = Cost of job + Profit = Selling Price any discounts must come from the profit side of formula 

Cost of goods = What does this job cost you vinyl , tape , fuel

Fixed cost = Of doing business rent for your building, vehicle cost anything that is a known price 

Variable cost = Of doing business fuel electric, replacement cost for your machines etc

Profit = How much do you want to make after you pay yourself a salary 

You decide where you want to put your salary in the formula above. Figure how many billable hours a year you can do. ( It is not 2000 ) 

Best of Luck

David