DNA_Vinyl

Layering...

Ive been getting better at layering. I was doing it ass-backwards before. I think I did pretty good.

post-72594-0-61102700-1398168592_thumb.j

post-72594-0-82235800-1398168605_thumb.j

• Like 7

looks good. can you clarify on azz backwards and the process you now use?

Layering makes me nervous. I've watched vids and researched but the two I attempted went in the trash. Reg marks are hard to see and once they're stuck it's over. Tried cutting out the reg marks with better results. I need to dedicate an entire day practicing.

I will give you guys a tip. If you are doing smallish stuff. Get your hands on some parchment paper from the bakery section. It is basically the same product that the opaque T-shirt transfers come with only on a roll and is cheap. (I buy mine at Costco). Take your Top most layer and make sure your app tape is plenty big to cover the final design (a lot of layered work is smaller on the top layer than the bottom). Apply the app tape and flip it over and remove the backing and replace it with the Parchment paper and then you can turn it back over and lay it on top of the next layer and get it right where you want it. It is nearly see-though and really helps (especially with clear app tape). Once you have it slid around to where you are happy then either tape off one side of the top like a hinge application or often the app tape itself is oversized enough to have some sticking out there to hold in position as you lift the top layer up and gently slide the parchment paper out and lay the top layer back down. 

I stumbled across this idea last year when I had a two color design I was doing and only had enough of one of the colors to build half of a certain design and needed to tape the whole thing in one shot for a customer and used the parchment just to keep the extra app tape from sticking to the cutting mat. After doing it I realized it would work great for layering and use it all the time now, even in field applications if they are small enough that they fit on a piece. The costco roll is pretty wide (I think about 14", haven't actually paid attention)

You can accomplish the same thing by using registration marks and just pulling your backing off and replacing it down below the reg marks and layering and repeat but it takes practice and is a little less forgiving. There are several decent vids on youtube that a re helpful. 

Here is a three layer I did last night for a track-hoe we repainted at work and needed to replace the safety stickers. 

post-20133-0-60337200-1398188277_thumb.j

Here's my 2 cents.

Well…in my head I wanted to stack the layers bottom first. It doesn’t work that way with transfer tape, And you’re only using one piece of transfer tape. The top layer is the first. For example the Cubs logo…

Weed it all out.

First - Lay your top layer down. In this case it’s the White marks on the blue bear.

Second - The white marks ONLY lay over JUST the blue bear…

Pull all that up.

Third – The red C is the 3rd layer, lay blue bear that now has the white marks on it over the red C.

Pull all that up.

Forth – Lay the Blue bear with the white marks and the red C all onto the white outline.

That’s it. No need to pull it up.

See the one piece of transfer tape is all you’ll use. I didn’t get that at first.

The easier way to do this is leave the white marks on the bear as negative space against the white background.

I only thought of that once I was one. lol!

I screwed up a lot too. it happens.

It's a learning curve and involves the design side as you are finding out (like the white on bear). The little sticker I made just has a white layer over a black layer on a solid orange layer. Just like what your saying so you gotta see if you can build them to take advantage of under layers by knocking out holes here and there which takes more skill on the design side. The stuff you did looks great. Even the bear which looks like maybe it rotated ever so slightly (looking at the feet) but you can't tell for sure if it's designed that way or not so as long as there aren't two side by side no one but you will ever even know if it was off or not.