Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyChopps1

Free Font Package Question

I have been interested in downloading free fonts from the innynet. YouTube has links to mega packs for free and vectorial a dot com has some also. Is this a good idea? How free is free really? Are there copyrighted materials you can't use although they are free? Fonts will be for commercial use.

i once tried those youtube free pack but they led to no where just a bunch junk of ads. like Dwan dafont.com is the best site for fonts. Some fonts are free to use and some required a small donation to the author.

There are several options out there to find free fonts. Even fonts you purchase sometimes have restrictions. If you are just producing a product like a t-shirt to sell I think it is a little less of a big deal than building someone a logo that they will use for their business. If I am doing a logo I take a little extra time to research the font choice and make sure I'm not getting myself or the future owner of the logo into a jam. The other thing to consider on fonts, your computer will not like you if you download the 10,000 free fonts database. Say hello to crash. I have a font manager that is supposed to help out but even with it I am stuck at around 2000 fonts to have my computer work without problems. There are a lot of duplicates with different names and a lot that aren't very conducive to cutting. 

• Like 1

+1 on DaFont.

either that or just google your font name and many times you can find a free one.

the only we've come across is many times free fonts aren't always as clean as paid for fonts, and some are downright terrible once you get up close.

But usually they are just fine.

When downloading free fonts many sites use the opportunity to try and get you to download a manager or a search bar or something with it, if you look for the most inconspicuous 

download button you'll should be fine, the large flashing button that says download here, is fake and many times contains a virus.

• Like 2

The other to look for is if the "free" font is complete, or is it a come-on to get you to buy the full version of the font.

For example, when I was working on the proofs for the OPEN sign I made for the market, I typed "WE'RE OPEN" into the sample text box and started scrolling through fonts and found these two fonts which I obviously couldn't use for that text:

post-24492-0-73782700-1395431351_thumb.j

Neither font contains a single quote/apostrophe so I couldn't use the word WE'RE.  If I want to pay for the full version, I'm sure I'll get the missing punctuation, but if I wanted to pay I wouldn't be searching through Dafont.com, would I?   >:D

Worse yet, there are plenty of "free" fonts that are missing basic glyphs and punctuation and there is no "full/paid" version that you can buy, so always double check that a new font actually contains all the characters you need, especially before you show it to a client and get their hopes up!

Also, a lot of those free collections contain a large number of un-cuttable fonts, or at least fonts that you won't ever want to have to try and cut and weed, and as Wildgoose pointed out, if you install too many fonts you will slow down and eventually crash your system.  Been there. Done that.

• Like 1

that is so frustrating! I can't count how many times I found the font i like and then have to draw in punctuation!!