Sign in to follow this  
The Elvis Legacy

LIGHTED CABINET SIGN INSTALLATION

Hey Folks!  I am eventually gonna be opening my sign shop for real before long.  Just retired for the police department and raring to go.  I have the opportunity to get a decent job for some lighted cabinets on the front of some strip mall stores.  There is a local sign guy that was suppose to give me some tips and walk me thru a project like this in exchange for a similar job that I passed on to him where he made a nice lil profit.  I thought it was a fair trade... Well...he took the job...made the money...and left me completely out of the loop. Go figure.  

I have a manufacturer that I can go to to get the sign made.  The only thing holding me back from making this deal is how to get it installed.  The local guy was SUPPOSE to introduce me to a 3rd party that installs all of his signs...DIDNT HAPPEN.  Can anyone give me any tips on where I might be able to find someone qualified to install signs? The only thing I know to do is contact other sign companies that do it themselves...but I kinda think that is a risky move just in case they want to move in and take the job from me blah blah blah...

I just have no idea where to even start...

I could walk you through installs if that would help the install on a wall is fairly easy and straight foward. If you are not proficent with doing electric hire an electrican/qualified handy man to hook up the power. Mounting on a pole is another story but still easy enough . Make sure that where ever you get your sign box from knows how it will mount incase extra bracing, mounting style, power entry location etc. I started out twenty years in the sign business installing a lighted sign in barter for lettering on my handyman service van. Since that time I have installed hundreds of lighted signs and countless flat signs, banners, plastic formed letters, digital displays and other signage.

• Like 1

I have used a local Rent-A-Tool place, they offer towable man-lifts (platform lift).

Summit_Series_being_Towed.jpg

You are probably going to want to check the city ordinances too. They have rules for new signs and will probably have to approve them and you may have to have a special license to do that part of the work. In your position I would look for a "Handy Man" jack of all trades type and get them to put the sign cabinets up be it on a pole or on a building, then you can just do the substrate and vinyl. 

You are probably going to want to check the city ordinances too. They have rules for new signs and will probably have to approve them and you may have to have a special license to do that part of the work. In your position I would look for a "Handy Man" jack of all trades type and get them to put the sign cabinets up be it on a pole or on a building, then you can just do the substrate and vinyl. 

If you do sub out the installs make sure to get a certificate of insurance with you named on it ....to cover liability on your self they can get it from their insurance provider.

myself like Slice.... I rent lifts from the rental supply makes jobs much easier. I had a bucket truck for a few years but the insurance was very high on it and the repairs on an older lift like that was breaking me ....{ I should have thought about that before I bought it ) but it got to where it was cheaper just to rent a lift as needed.