Sign in to follow this  
jovial

Looking to buy a new cutter

I currently have a USCutter MH721 and a Desay Master xp540. I use the MH every day and it has been a great cutter, but now its time to upgrade. I'm selling both of the cutters I currently have and would like to buy a good 36" cutter. I would like to have a Roland but realize they are a little pricey for me right now. What are some other good quality cutters that I can find in a 36-48" and still stay under $1000?

How often do you cut larger than 24" vinyl? If you are willing to spend 1K then you can probably find a used or refurbished Graphtec 24" unit pretty close to that and be setting great. I had a P-Cut 48" cutter for a couple years and only cut 30" vinyl about 3 times a year and then only because that was the only material the local shop had in stock in the color I wanted. I never cut 48" once. I upgraded to aSumma D75r which is only a 30" machine and I just tile anything larger. With the higher quality cutter, tiling is no big deal because the cuts are so much more accurate. The Summa was higher dollars than the Graphtec but I have heard nothing but good comments on the Graphtecs. The biggest thing you are getting away from is the stepper motors that the lower end machines have. 

had a 50" - hardly ever used the 30" (but if upgrading to a graphtec fc I would seriously consider a 30") so went back to 24" ---   not as much selection in 30" and don't even remember ever seeing 36" media

• Like 1

had a 50" - hardly ever used the 30" (but if upgrading to a graphtec fc I would seriously consider a 30") so went back to 24" ---   not as much selection in 30" and don't even remember ever seeing 36" media

Around here and online material jumps from 24" to 30" to 48" so I agree with Dakota, 36" is a waste unless you have some special needs. I like having the ability to cut 30 material just in case. Once in a while I end up with some or I have a sign that is JUST over the 23" working window of the regular vinyl and I might pick up a few yards.

Thanks a lot guys. I don't post a lot on here but I'm always reading the posts and learning new things. I know I can always count on the poeple here for great advice.

most larger items can be broken down into sections like when doing a 4x8 - and I think a lot of us prefer working with the smaller width to apply - just makes it easier,  some time try laying a sheet of masked real wide and long material!

• Like 2

Yeah I know what you mean Dakota. I dont have a big nice setup because I just do this out of an extra room in my house. That being said, I dont have a lot of room to lay down large graphics while trying to transfer tape them.

I work out of my house,  a spare bedroom..  13.5ft x 10 ft.    I have a 30" x 8 ft resin table set up.,  other tables with my computers, printer  I have a 30" Graphtec in here (which is almost 50" long)  I have no problem taping any size length decal..  And I am not falling all over myself in here..   Just try different ways, to use your space. 

• Like 3