ladymare

pressure/ripping/frustration

The Specs: LP1, mac OS mavericks, SCALP (current), Oracal 651

The Story: This is becoming more and more of an issue. It started out as annoying and only a slight problem, but now I'm wasting tons of vinyl. Cutter cuts perfectly for 15" and below rolls. If I use a 24" roll, it gets whacky on pressure. I have an image I've been cutting a ton of lately. I can cut that image vertically (11X23) on a 15" Roll just fine. If I turn the image and use a 24" roll the very center of my machine cuts WAY too deep and cuts all the way through the paper, catches and makes a HUGE mess. I've adjusted the pressure. The outsides of the image cut perfect, like butter to weed. The center does this mess thing. What's the deal? It's a new blade and it's on the same blade height setting as I've always run it.

Have you checked your cutting strip for gouges? scratches?  Make sure cutter strip is down all the way across.

Make sure nothing in the carriage head track,

You stated it is a new blade,,  You have to set the blade depth for it again.  And because you left the new blade at the same height and force,  check the blade tip and make sure it is not broken off.

This is how you set the blade depth correctly below.  Ripping is usually caused by too much blade exposed out of the blade holder.

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 1

what are the odds that someone has hit your plotter in the center of the carriage?  there for causing the center to be lower then the outside edges. if you cut a 15 inch  piece it would not matter  but the wider you go the more it would effect.

Lay a straight edge across the cutting surface from left to right and if it is bent in the center you can usually see it as a tiny gap between the straight edge and the cutting surface.