Sign in to follow this  
nonabelle

APPLYING WINDOW VINYL LETTERING?

hi guys,

today i cut my first window sign, is that what it's called. i used white fdc 4200 vinyl. now here comes the drama. do i have to wet it before applying or can i apply it dry. yes i am using the application tape, if that's what it's called. yes i'm new at this and yes i need ur help my friends. i was told that i didn't have to do it wet, then i was told i needed to do it wet. help!

The fuild gives you a chance to get all the air out before the vinyl sticks.

I would do it wet so there are no air bubbles and it will make it easier to position

It kinda depends on how big the vinyl piece is, and how comfortable you are at applying vinyl on the window. If this is your first job/customer... trust me, you WILL be nervous. Using the wet application is more forgiving if you don't lay the vinyl correctly, you have a chance to move/adjust the piece to get it in the perfect position. And as the others have said... allows you to get all the air bubbles out.

I've been the dry application on a store front before, and just used the "hedge" method... it worked well. The piece was only about 36 inches wide, so it was manageable by myself.

Either way... just take your time, measure twice if not three times, and remember to BREATH!!!  :)

This video is posted in the forum somewhere.  Its a good one that shows all the application methods for these decals and lettering.  I send this video to customers that ask about applying.

Matt

Good video Matt... it gives the customer several options.  :)

nonabelle... if you do the "tape the middle" method, I would recommend putting a piece of tape at the end(left or right side), so that vinyl doesn't tilt one way or the other.

u guys r the greatest! i think i will do it wet. wet is always better. lol  :)

I agree  :) Wet is better, specially when you are new. You will be able to move it until you are satisfied with the position of the sign.

Good video but I don't know what solution he is using for wet... I usually pull my tape within 2-5 minutes.

If it has any size to it at all I go wet.

I use Rapid-Tac, you can buy it by the bottle, gal or 5 gal. I get the 5 gal.

Larry C

if you search this forum for application fluid recipes, you should find a couple on here that they say work as good or better than rapidtac for way less money. just my2c ;)

bb