"The paper isn't the only advertising out there."

My experience has been that it's the type with the worst return!

You'll probably do WAY better going door-to-door.

Coro yard signs every where that will give you permission to put them they work. I still have a bunch of the old real estate type metal yard signs with the rider at the top for the handyman service any job lasting a few days gets one then a coro sign left on completion.

• Like 1

Last time I ran we did a 20% off coupon to gauge effectiveness and not 1 coupon came through the door.

I can relate... I 've ran coupons and ads in the paper, give-aways on the web site, Even direct-mail flyers.

Nothing I've tried has ever matched the return I get from the good ol' shoe leather sales pitch.

I have been toying with the idea of direct mail. Were your results really that bad.

Actually, they were the better of the others listed (besides 'shoe leather')

I have a database of 2200 previous customers and my direct mail has been pointed in their direction.

That said, the response rate of 3-4% may not be typical to what you may have been planning.

I'm searching for new customers mainly and being outside of the larger cities I have to try different things.

I'm outside the larger metro as well... thankfully. The competition is not near as rough.

Still able to get a fair price for quality work.

Still though, Jay, I get approx. 75% of the projects I work up and pitch. Cold-calling on businesses.

I keep my eyes trained on where there is a sign 'need' and I market a solution directly.

Alot of our business is referral, If you can make one customer happy in a new area convince them to tell their friends and suddenly you have three more jobs.

We advertise very little, paper is useless and there is only one paper in our town, phonebooks end up being pretty pointless since everyone uses google.

we have done some direct mailing although not to the extent as others on here but still word of mouth and cold calling is what works the best.

Hit the pavement, deliver on your promises and you'll do just fine.

Word of mouth will always be the best advertising. For me to pound the pavement is nearly impossible due to my hours, 6 days a week and a minimum 55 hours a week at the store. If the time is there to do it there is no better way to promote yourself than to go out and shake hands and talk to people.

Alot of our business is referral, If you can make one customer happy in a new area convince them to tell their friends and suddenly you have three more jobs.

We advertise very little, paper is useless and there is only one paper in our town, phonebooks end up being pretty pointless since everyone uses google.

we have done some direct mailing although not to the extent as others on here but still word of mouth and cold calling is what works the best.

Hit the pavement, deliver on your promises and you'll do just fine.

This is very true lately that is all i have been getting. Funny thing is I live in Montana and 2 big orders I have done are in Wisconsin, also a guy from Cali is wanting some work done.

Word of mouth will always be the best advertising. For me to pound the pavement is nearly impossible due to my hours, 6 days a week and a minimum 55 hours a week at the store. If the time is there to do it there is no better way to promote yourself than to go out and shake hands and talk to people.

Really doesn't take that much time... Not that I'm trying to talk you into it, I just keep my eyes, camera, and notebook

with me when I'm out and about on regular stuff and drop back by for a couple a minutes after I've worked up something to

show them.

I wouldn't go door-to-door like some vacuum salesman...  :)

• Like 1

I understand but when I say I'm here that long it is because it is difficult for me to get away to do anything. The 1 plus to being in a small town is word travels fast when you do quality work and my name is in several small towns, just looking for that little bit more to ease the financial stresses of owning a business.

• Like 2

Tear em up. Quality always pays off in the end. Hopefully this is the start of many good things for you.

• Like 1