Here's hoping that it all goes smoothly. Considering I'm scheduled to install Wednesday it had better go smooth.

The french cleat works great i have used them on multiple projects. The sign I showed had scraps of the mdo at points where mounting screws would be placed using 3 inch screws. The script Font made it easy to install. I had to remove the old signage that was damaged by the derecho last summer and all the wood structure and rebuild it is a triangle structure and the signage on two sides.

You just taught me something new. I never knew that was called a french cleat and I have used it a bunch of time to hang shop cabinets so the layout could be easily changed around without a bunch of grief. I made a template to mount the cleats in hopes of an easy level install.

You just taught me something new. I never knew that was called a french cleat and I have used it a bunch of time to hang shop cabinets so the layout could be easily changed around without a bunch of grief. I made a template to mount the cleats in hopes of an easy level install.

he said "french cleat"  hehehehe  :wacko:  :lol:

:blink:

Now I know you live too close to Canada when you start to develop their sense of humor.

• Like 2

Now I know you live too close to Canada when you start to develop their sense of humor.

We lived somewhere called port huron in Mi. or something like that in the 50s Dad worked in a factory that built airplane propeler and other aircraft parts. I dont remember too much about it except winters really sucked. We have serious winter weather but it was extrem there.

I grew up 6 hours from Canada in upstate NY myself and winters were miserable but I think they are worse in MI.

I think Scott may already be developing cabin fever up there.

• Like 1

just a little tired - can't seem to sleep much lately.  work, errands and maybe the change in climate dont know.

That'll do it for sure. Clocks changing will take me a week to get my body back on a decent sleep cycle.

• Like 1

Making progress. Got to admit I'm impressed with the paint coverage. This is the first coat.

photobucket-7897-1383585036657_zpsf9dec2

photobucket-6613-1383585006930_zpsb634d7

• Like 1

The paint and primer seems to have good coverage to me ....that is about all Lowe's has now. I use a lot of paints from Sherwin Williams I use the all purpose oil base primer two coats and sand between coats. I have started using all purpose latex enamael for signs and structures because of the better uv resistance and the ability to move with the substrates expansion and contraction with out cracking.

I hit them with some sandpaper to knock down the raised grain and gave them a second coat before I left tonight. I've got to say for going over pair wood I am super impressed with the coverage and 2 coats is gonna do since these are interior letters. Tomorrow, cleats.

I've been working with signage for a few years now but I've got to say this is the first time I feel like a sign maker. So much more to it than just sticking vinyl on something and calling it done. Next step is to learn to work with foam.

I've been working with signage for a few years now but I've got to say this is the first time I feel like a sign maker. So much more to it than just sticking vinyl on something and calling it done. Next step is to learn to work with foam.

There was a member on here that did somee amazing looking work with foam I forget his user name. I have taken down a lot of the foam letters and replaced with plastic demisonal from gemini. I guess it was during the 80s there were a lot of foam letters with the glitter that give a sparkel as you passed them but they deterioted very fast.

My late neighbor was a old school sign writer that hand lettered and built all the signs from scratch. He had a neon shop and bent his neon, built lighted signs welding the frame and adding the skin and electrical and back painting the faces.

He had three sons and none carried on the trade. I would not have ever belived back then standing in his shop talking to him that a few years later i would be doing signage.

Nowadays you just open the catalog and pick what you want. I have tons of respect for all those that did and still do actually make the products they install. I've been thinking of making my own lit sign boxes for a while but not having a UL sticker makes that a tough one even though the boxes would be easy to make.

Nowadays you just open the catalog and pick what you want. I have tons of respect for all those that did and still do actually make the products they install. I've been thinking of making my own lit sign boxes for a while but not having a UL sticker makes that a tough one even though the boxes would be easy to make.

The box could be ul compliant though without a sticker with grounding and a watertite service disconnect on the sign.

something to look into. I'm familiar with bending sheetmetal and I have a MIG welder so the angle iron frame is no problem. Every time I price 1 new I get sticker shocker so this may be something for next years offerings. Right now i am officially swamped for 7-10 days.

I signed a contract on an attached garage construction yesterday and now have about 2 months work scheduled. I keep telling my wife I am going to slow down but i havent yet. I have to remember I am getting old. Lol

You can slow down when they bury you. That's how I am about it. Seems like every time somebody says they're gonna slowdown I read their name in the obituaries.

Finally done. They were supposed to have the wall painted already but lucky for them they can just lift the letters off to paint.

photobucket-3772-1383768716119_zps818890

photobucket-6452-1383768697897_zpsfe3a56

To give an idea of how high it was that is my 8' stepladder in the picture and I had another 5' above it.

Look better once they paint the wall. I was way off on the old signage, it was foam but from the ground it 100% looked like mdo. I gave 2 impromptu estimates while installing this so others liked it too.

• Like 2