karkess

Two layers on a sign

Question time...I am getting ready to do a sign, it's all letters in "white" except for one letter in the name which is "red".  My question is, what's the best way to achieve this?  The sign will be 17" x 12".  Do I have to waste a 17 x 12 piece of red to get the one letter that will be 2 x 4 (roughly) to align properly with registration marks?  Or is there another way that will allow me to cut one letter and line it up perfectly without wasting all that extra vinyl?

Thanks in advance

Pictures worth a thousand words. Note the green represents the registration marks and would be cut with both main colors

black and green

red and green

post-40404-0-67759600-1382058796_thumb.j

Ok how do you get the E there?  Meaning, lets say it's all weeded and on the backing, same with the E, how do you get it all on one piece of application tape?  Because it's going on a car door and I don't want to risk a scratch trying to remove the registration marks if I layer it on the door.

I use a small pc. of app tape to cover the e and the marks then line it up and stick it down then just tape over the whole thing with 1 pc.

Ok.  Didn't know you could do that, but it makes sense.  Does the app tape stick to itself good enough?

Yeah it'll hold fine. If I screw up a letter in a cut I do similar to set it in the right spot before I tape it for install.

I have been know to cut it in the basic color black then re cut the red  E pull the black E off then align the new E up with the marks on the backing paper then tape it all up. It is a pain sometimes  but i think i like Jays way .

This is an example of where I like the clear app tape. Use a piece just big enough to fit the "E" with the registration marks. It releases from the vinyl easier so I can remove it and put paper app tape over the entire decal.

I have been know to cut it in the basic color black then re cut the red  E pull the black E off then align the new E up with the marks on the backing paper then tape it all up. It is a pain sometimes  but i think i like Jays way .

I do it that way when I have to replace a piece in a pinch. You know those gremlins are always messing things up when I'm not looking.

• Like 1

Shoot I just go ahead and put the registration marks on the vehicle. As long as you pull them off as soon as you're done they come right back up. If you were to wait too long you might have a little trouble but I rarely even have any adhesive residue to worry about. 

Shoot I just go ahead and put the registration marks on the vehicle. As long as you pull them off as soon as you're done they come right back up. If you were to wait too long you might have a little trouble but I rarely even have any adhesive residue to worry about. 

I figure where they will land and put some masking tape down. Makes them easier to remove.