ddprinting

Copyright questions for closed business???

So if a company has closed, gone under, etc is their logo still protected by copyright?  Can I legally reproduce their logo for a piece of equipment, boat or so on if they no longer are in business or don't offer that original decal?  Any knowledge of this would be appreciated!!!

You'd have to do a copyright search (or Trademark, probably) to see if it's still open or if it's dead.

Company can be bankrupt and still hold assets like their logo. Definitely would need to be researched on an individual basis.

• Like 1

As a rule, copyright protection lasts for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years.

In other words, even if the owner of the copyright is deceased (or out of business) the copyright is valid for another 70 years.

To determine the length of copyright protection for a particular work, consult chapter 3 of the Copyright Act (title 17 of the United States Code)

I read up on this awhile back. Copyright and trademark are two different things. If I am remembering right...if a Trademark (name,logo,etc) is not used by it's owner in any way after a certain period it becomes available again. It wasn't long...maybe 10 years....you can google it.