Sign in to follow this  
Tommy B

Something that's bugging me about cutting Vinyl

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I would really hate to waste vinyl.

What if you only do a small cut, and you cut out just a small square out of the media, are you able to use that little strip or do the rollers require an even piece?

It's kind of hard for me to explain, but if you get it I would like to know!

Thanks!

I use pieces like that all the time if i need to. I just adjust my settings to that width of vinyl. Also i sell my scraps to a local lady that uses it for a cricut. So to answer your question yes you can use it. 

Here's the thing, Tommy ---  vinyl is going to get wasted. No matter what, there will be a lot of vinyl getting thrown away (after weeding), and also backing paper (cannot be recycled, because it's waxed) and app tape, lots of app tape. 

If you are concerned about the environmental effect of the vinyl-cutting operation, then don't get into it, because it's simply NOT environmentally friendly (even the production of the vinyl is somewhat detrimental to our planet)

As for the odd scrap you describe, I probably wouldn't remove the corner piece, but rather trim across the whole width, and the remaining rectangle then would be retained for future use. The cost of that little odd corner is so minimal that it's not even worth dealing with.

But, from a strictly technical standpoint, yes, you could manage to run it through the cutter and the rollers would grab it (assuming the size is still large enough ---  like 4" or so)

• Like 1

I use a Cricut cutting mat for my scrap pieces of vinyl, especially the Heat Transfer Vinyl. It helps me use even the smallest scraps for those smaller cuts. I just add other pieces of vinyl on the mat where the rollers ride to prevent them from picking up the stickyness from the mat. You can get the mats from various places.

Here's the thing, Tommy ---  vinyl is going to get wasted. No matter what, there will be a lot of vinyl getting thrown away (after weeding), and also backing paper (cannot be recycled, because it's waxed) and app tape, lots of app tape. 

If you are concerned about the environmental effect of the vinyl-cutting operation, then don't get into it, because it's simply NOT environmentally friendly (even the production of the vinyl is somewhat detrimental to our planet)

As for the odd scrap you describe, I probably wouldn't remove the corner piece, but rather trim across the whole width, and the remaining rectangle then would be retained for future use. The cost of that little odd corner is so minimal that it's not even worth dealing with.

But, from a strictly technical standpoint, yes, you could manage to run it through the cutter and the rollers would grab it (assuming the size is still large enough ---  like 4" or so)

I meant just the excess pieces that are still usable.

And thanks everyone for the info.

Just a while ago, I offered to send out boxes of my excess scraps, and I believe that three members of the Forums obtained them.

We all generate scraps, it's unavoidable.

The trick is to keep it from getting out of hand!!!

VinylScraps-2.jpg?1373455560

You could carefully take the scrap off the backing, and place it on a larger backing.. I've had to do that in emergency situations a few times.